Chapter 4

The plane ride was calm, easy, and went by quickly. After having only seen the blue beneath the plane for the past 4 hours, a speck of land finally snuck into view. The craft approached the land, making it magnify each moment. Sooner than I expected, the plane dropped it's wheels and skimmed the ground, before coming into full contact and slowing down, turning and stopping at their gate. The fasten seatbelt sign clicked off, and everybody rushed to grab their bags and run out the small exit. I waited back. I was entirley unsure as to what I was going to do now, I had been so focused on getting away. When I finally shuffled my way out the plane and into the terminal. The air was humid and warm. Above me a sign hung that read 'Welcome to the Big Island' and next to it 'H Baggage Claim' with an arrow pointing to the right. I swerved right, and found my bag. Next I followed the sign that pointed to 'Taxi Services' and got in the line to wait. When it was my turn I hopped in the blue minivan and said...

"To the nearest beach please." and the large Hawaiian man drove off. In about five minutes we pulled into the parking lot of a beach, the huge waves were crashing violently onto the shore. Pummeling each grain of sand into the earth beneath it.

"We have just come back from a storm." the driver said motioning towards the water, "You sure Ma'am." I nodded assuring him that this was fine, and payed the amount that shown on the clock. When I got out, I walked towards the sand, and turned right into the foliage as I passed the parking lot. I hiked back into the thick forests , making sure that where I was going, was well removed from the public's eye. When I felt far enough away, I put my suit case down and opened it up, pulling out the pink swim-suit that layed on top. I checked around one last time and pulled it on, covering it up with a blue tank top, then walked back out towards the beach. The closer I got, the louder the pounding was, when each wave smacked hard onto the shore. Any sane person would keep as far away as they could, but I guess you could say, I'm not totally sane.

I timed it just so that I could get past the break zone, as a small set ran through. The smaller waves, smaller being a relative term, crashed on my legs making it hard to stay upright. Once I got deeper I dove under a wave and resurfaced where I had to swim. I swam a little bit farther out, where you were less likely to get pummeled and die, and stopped to tred water. There was only one other person in the water with me , I couldn't see him very well, so I just pushed him to the back of my mind. Each wave passed, spitting mist off the backside, and another one would come lifting me high above the world. It was incredible. The guy kept watching me... I didn't mind being watched, but this felt different. It was almost like he was checking to make sure I was safe, or that I could handle it, little did he know...

Before I could elaborate on the thought my attention was immediately whipped to the strong pull of a growing wave. I ripped my gaze away from the man, just in time. A wall of water reached up about 15 feet above me, in a blitz I chose to dive under the crashing wave. Just as I propelled myself down, the wave crashed booming like thunder. I could feel the intense white wash pull and push at my back, but not quite hard enough to pull me back into its wrath.

When I resurfaced I gasped the moist air, not realizing how long I had been down until the oxygen seized the burning sensation in my lungs. Involuntarily my eyes searched out for the man, he was gone. I pushed the thought aside in my head, until I caught glimpse of something on the beach in my peripheral vision. I double-took when it occurred to me that it was the man who had watched me earlier. I kicked into action, swimming and running frantically towards the shore. I finally reached sandy bottom, though quite ungracefully. I sprinted towards him, he laid on the sand unmoving, as the waves lapped over him.

Crap, I thought as I threw myself onto the sand near by him. I was no expert at CPR, but I could figure it out if need be. He seemed to be breathing, that was good. He was tan and very toned, and though it was hard to tell he seemed about 6'4 and he had short dirty blonde hair, that spiked out in all directions. I couldn't help but notice just how attractive he was. I snapped out of my admiration, when I heard him start to cough and sputter. I wasn't quite sure what I should do. I just watched as he coughed up what seemed like a gallon of water, and his eyes fluttered open.

As he matched my gaze I said, composed as possible. "Rough out there, isn't it?".

He did not seem to like that, he sat up, coughing one last time, and stormed off up the beach. I sat, dumbfounded, that was certainly not the reaction I was expecting. I guess he couldn't take a joke.