What Could've Been

Start from the beginning

"So Harper, I'll never forget you. Ever. I don't think you'd let me anyways," She smiled. "You were one of a kind, I've never met anyone like you. And I wouldn't want too. I know you and Spencer are raising hell up there, wherever you are..thank you for everything you ever did for me, I should've told you more how much I appreciated having you in my life."

She dropped the mic and quickly went back to her seat, the tears beginning to form once again. Dean wrapped his spare arm around her, pulling her in close.

She still felt like this was all a bad dream.

But it wasn't.

Harper was gone and she wasn't coming back..
-
Two Days Later...

Maddy was laying on the grass right beside the headstone that read Harper's name. Right next to Spencer's.

She was talking to Harper, about how she's going to raise Ethan and Hope to know how badass both of their parents were.

She told her how she was still dealing with the panic attacks at night. She still wasn't sleeping. Dean was more worried about her, but she played it off like it was fine.

But deep down, she was broken. Her heart felt more shattered every day. Every day she had to live without Harper.

She missed her snide remarks, the way her nose scrunched up when she got mad, or hearing her rant about work.

She wiped a stray tear that had fallen down her cheek. It was quiet in the cemetery. A slight breeze among the trees, but that was it.

Until Maddy heard a car driving down the road. She looked and saw the car stop a few feet away from her.

The door opened and the one person she didn't expect to see appeared. Seth. He looked..horrible. His hair was disheveled, he was wearing sweats and a Tapout hoodie, which she could tell were dirty.

"Hey..Maddy." He mumbled, taking a seat down beside her.

"I miss her. So much." Maddy frowned, leaning against his shoulder.

"I miss her too..I feel like an ass for not showing up to the funeral..but I couldn't. I couldn't see her like that." He looked down at his hands.

"Well your here now..I was worried about you.." Maddy patted his shoulder gently. "I'll leave you alone."

"Why?" He raised an eyebrow, watching as Maddy stood up, adjusting her jacket.

"I know you have a lot to say to her, I've said what I needed to tell her today. I'll see you around Seth." She shrugged her shoulders.

After she left, he made sure he was totally alone. Not a person in sight.

He took out a crumpled piece of paper, words he had thought of were jumbled together.

"Originally I was gonna read this piece of shit at the funeral. But then I realized I needed to say what was truly on my mind..so Harper, I hope your listening.." He sighed, balling the paper up with his fist.

"The way we met was nothing I had ever expected. In a bar, with Maddy, we were both drunk, and then we had sex. While I was engaged. But it wasn't until I truly got to know you, that I became so intrigued. You were such a wonderful, insightful person, and I believe I was naturally drawn to you.." He reached out and touched her headstone.

"You gave me the stone hard truth, whether I asked for it or not. Told me I wasn't in love with Sarah and I was never going to be truly happy if I married her. Of course I knew you were right, so I didn't. And boy am I glad I made that choice." He shook his head, a hint of a smile on his face.

"I was jealous when you and my brother started dating..until I saw how truly happy you were. And I realized I couldn't take that away from either one of you. All I ever wanted for you was true happiness, Harper. Looking back on it now, writing it on a letter probably wasn't the best decision, but I have never felt this way for anyone before. That's how I knew you were special.." He bit his lip, thinking of his next words.

"And I thought by going to Japan, my feelings would go away. But they didn't..in any case they got stronger. Being away from you felt like torture..I missed you and the kids so much." He frowned.

"If I could go back and change things, I would. But I wouldn't change the way you came into my life. Not for a million years..I don't think I'll ever trust someone as much as I trusted you..and no matter how many times I fucked up, you never left me. So thank you, for that, and so much more. But the most important part, thank you for letting me love you. And although you never said it directly, I know you loved me too." Seth's eyes began to water.

He looked at her headstone, seeing a paper taped on with the words, 'It's A Boy!'.

He smiled, "So cheers Harper, to What Could've Been."

He raised his beer before taking a sip.

The End.

- - -
Thank you all so much for reading Untold Secrets and then this book. It certainly was a crazy ride. I'm so proud of these books, and I hope you all enjoyed reading as I did writing. I also wanted to thank my best friend wwemaddy for giving me feedback and helping me throughout this story if I needed it. Yes, the Maddy in these books was in honor of her😘everyone please go read her books, she's an amazing writer.

Now the door to this story is almost closed, but I'm not done with them just yet. Watch out for a Spin Off short story will be published on my account very soon. New characters will be introduced, and more secrets will be revealed 👀

Thanks for reading and see you all soon! :) 💛