A tap on my shoulder jerked me out of my thoughts as I looked up to see who it was. My breath hitched in my throat as I stared into the brown eyes of Trent. “May I sit here?” he asked pointing to the seat next to me.

“Uhh, sure…” I shyly replied.

A smile stretched across his face as he sat down. “Hi I am Trent.”

“I know,” I said while staring at my hands. They seemed very interesting at the moment. “I mean uh everyone knows you… I mean…. You’re popular who wouldn’t.” I wanted to slap myself at my babbling, but he found it amusing.

“What’s your name?”

I had to think for a second before replying, “Faith.” I glanced over at him and saw him just staring at me. I blushed slightly and began to twirl my thumbs avoiding eye contact. That was the best plan for me, can’t let him get his reputation ruined can we.

“Why are you acting so shy, you don’t have to you know. I don’t bite; I mean we are friends now right?”

“I guess so; I don’t know why you would want to be my friend though I am a nerd.” At this very moment the bell seemed like it was never going to ring. My heart was pounding inside my chest and I am pretty sure he could hear it. This was the most I have ever talked to a guy in my life.

He raised an eyebrow and cocked his head to the side. When he was about to reply the bell rang and I jumped out of my seat and darted out the door. I didn’t want the conversation to get anymore awkward so I didn’t even bother to look back.

The next five classes seemed to pass by quickly as I walked to lunch with Jessie. She kept glancing over at me which made me a little suspicious. “Can I help you?” I asked, looking at her from the corner of my eye.

“Oh nothing… nothing besides the fact that when I walked into homeroom this morning your over there chatting with the hottest guy in school! So what’s it like talking to Trent? Does his voice make you go weak in the knees like everyone says?” She pretended to swoon causing me to giggle.

“We just talked for a few seconds; it doesn’t count as a conversation Jess.” Hugging my books tighter to me I walked into the cafeteria and looked around. All the tables were the same, popular in the middle nerds by the trash cans and people who weren’t really in groups scattered at other tables. I smiled when I saw our table by the windows open and empty. “Hey go grab our table. I will get your food.”

With a nod she walked off passing the popular table and glancing at Trent. He didn’t seem to notice as he chatted with the ice-skating captain and other football jocks. My evil twins were at that table to of course because they were ice-skaters and best friends with the captain.

I walked into the line and began to grab food when a jock came up and got in front of me. Smirking at my shocked expression he turned to pay for his food. I rolled my eyes at the cliché scene and waited patiently for him to finish. Of course though he brought his ice-skating girl friend to get in front of him and she brought her friends with her which pushed me to the very back on the line. Sighing, I finally made it to the front and paid for our food and walked over to our table.

“What took you so long, I am starving!” Jess exclaimed grabbing her hamburger from the tray. She began to munch down and watched me, waiting for me to reply.

“Oh you know the jocks bringing friends and more friends to the front of the line.”

“You should have said something.” A chunk of food few out of her mouth while she continued to talk. I gave her a disgusted look and she only shrugged her shoulders and continued to devour the hamburger.