Chapter Fourteen - Light Show

IN A LAST GLIMMER OF LUCIDITY, my hand crawled over the grass, groping a cluster of roots until I found a fallen branch. It was sturdy and thick enough.

I drove the branch into its right eye, no questions asked.

It let go of my throat, releasing a pained howl. If I survived this somehow, I'd be deaf afterward. I brought in my other hand, pushed and twisted the branch deeper. Blood gushed from the wound, dripping and nearly missing my mouth.

The howl intensified, and I scattered from underneath. I gulped for sweet air, struggling to rise on vacillating legs. I nearly reached the cover of the trees when several others sprung out and snarled. I halted, finding it barely possible to remain standing.

I receded, looking over at the crumpled creature behind trying to pull the stick from its eye, then at its peers. In a split second, bony fingers clasped around my forearm.

Next thing I knew, an extraordinary white-hot pain burst along my shoulder. An audible crack rattled me from the inside. And it radiated to the point I saw swirls.

Something small and jagged sunk into my forearm, feeling like a million miniature needles puncturing inside. I screamed and doubled over. It tore through skin and muscle, rushing tears to my eyes. I was flung on my back again.

I tried to fight, but I was weaker than before. My hands and legs were slug, and despair kicked in.

The creature did not move. It watched me, held me down.

I understood soon why. The one from earlier neared, its right eye missing and replaced with a hollow, bleeding socket. The other backed away, almost bowing. It opened its jaw inches away from my face, drool exuding from its vengeful lips. I felt its will to kill me slowly and painfully in every corner of my body. Panic stirred within me.

Leaves rustled once more as if the forest came alive and angry.

I don't want to die...

It was obvious, but it took all its meaning. I was not dying here. I wasn't leaving my family. And I swear to God my face will not end up on those cursed doors at school.

And yet, before I could try anything, a powerful wave pushed us all apart, propelling my own body into brutal rolls. My scream lost itself in the chaos. I landed on my stomach. Blistering heat blew over me, wrapping me in a cocoon.

The sky blurred into smears of colors and lights. The overpowering weight of the creature was gone... I was alone.

Shadows fused lightning-fast through my closed lids. Suddenly, the piercing shrieks amplified, laced with distress and aggressiveness. I came to, straining to find the source of the turmoil.

There was... something moving insanely fast at the far end of the clearing, a bright smudge or rather a giant glow stick. It was blinding, illuminating the whole meadow and visible from afar like the northern star.

From the rustling leaves emerged more creatures. They hurtled toward the light, miraculously forgetting all about me. For a moment, I watched as the light fought them all off, switching places in a flash, and burning them in its way. The ground spasmed under my body. Static filled my hair.

Two 'arms' rose from the light. The beasts were driven apart like a ghost hand swept them off their feet. They smashed into trees, whining in agony.

As fast as I could, I limped along the treeline, praying there would be no more predators concealed. Running was impossible. I'd fall face-first before covering any distance. Waiting it out, hidden, until I found a better solution was the only affordable option.

My gaze slid upward. Could I climb without hurting myself?

Behind me, the creatures were drowning in cries, sounding like their bones were being torn apart. Their unearthly crescendo was gut-wrenching. I hunched over, thinking I would puke.

But I commanded myself not to.

I'd rather risk hurting myself than stay vulnerable a second longer. I searched for a tree to hide in. I found one more accessible than the rest with branches closer together, but they reached higher up.

Grinding my teeth against the vicious ache, I thrust the arm with the intact shoulder. My muscles were sore, complaining with every move. The more I progressed, the more I felt the wound oozing. I kept my eyes on the ball. A safe place. The rest would come second.

I scaled high, settling into the least agonizing position that allowed me to keep hugging the branch for dear life.

The rips of bone and flesh grew faint as time went on. I fought to stay awake and tried to peep through the canopy to see what was going on. A motionless body thudded to the ground. Everything stilled, but it didn't last.

The creatures, all at once, broke into an ear-splitting chorus that rose the small hairs on my arms. They began retreating like ghosts, barreling outward and sprinting right under my tree. I clung on, praying. But none of them stopped or even acknowledged my presence.

All except the one-eyed monster. It stared at me before joining his bloodthirsty companions.

I let my head flop over the bark. With the flow of adrenaline, all I wanted to do was huddle in a ball and dissolve into tears.

Silence smothered the clearing. Nothing dared to move except for the hypnotic pulse in the middle of the field.

My fingers and face were numb from squeezing so hard. The light in the glade mellowed, gradually sizzling inward until that dangerous sound was gone. It took a human shape—distinctive arms and legs with a torso and a head. How hard did I hit my noggin?

Hands appeared first. An arm dressed in a sleeve, a back with a jacket, long denim-clad legs and sneakers followed. A dark head of messy waves came through last. Then everything went out.

"Sunshine, if you're still here," he said to me, "you better come out."

It was all small town and new girl next door type of vibe, but this was only meant as an introduction. Now, we're in business.