Chapter Thirteen - Alone in The Clearing

Start from the beginning

"I see you found the booze."

I took a sip. "I sure did."

Most of the party had moved to the backyard. The living room became the calm area where people chatted and played. It's only been an hour and a half since the party started, and we haven't done much yet.

Heeled boots strutted our way. I lifted my gaze to Emma.

"What are you guys doing sulking on the stairs? Do you not know how to party?"

"No," I answered and looked over at Sam. "Do you?"

She giggled. Emma huffed and grabbed an arm of each, pulling us up. As tiny as she was, she had strength.

"Come on, girls."

She dragged us to the yard where the music was louder than ever. All I saw was a sea of grooving arms and legs tangled together. Jen gestured wildly at us to jump in, cheeks ruddy and hair disheveled. Emma, never letting my hand go, drew and yanked until we delved into the mass.

It was strange and awkward at first. I didn't know how I could look as confident as everyone else. I loosened up after my fourth or fifth drink, then got the hang of it. My hips swayed and my head bobbed as I laughed.

Jen tackled me, and her shrill scream carried over the yard. "New girl got dress-coded her first week! Toast!"

The crowd howled, and I saw dozens and dozens of red sloshing cups rise to the moon.

My head was throbbing and fuzzy. Time distorted, and suddenly jumping up and down like a broken spring was so much fun. We danced together—a world of four—for God knows how long amidst the colliding bodies. People came to drink to my health, though I suspected it had nothing to do with that.

But then I drank to the point where my balance became questionable. My feet hurt and my face was warm.

I found a little corner on the front lawn to sit on and dug my fingers into the cool grass. I emptied the remaining contents of my last cup. My hand absentmindedly toyed with the pocket knife I'd pulled out. These days, I brought it everywhere.

If I was crazy, as Luc presumed, then it wouldn't be an issue if I walked home tonight, right? It was him behind the mark on the SUV, the guilt had been clear on his face. Things got knotted in my mind, or more like... they cleared up. I knew I hadn't imagined that first night. Something did chase me, and I was scared. But those eyes in the mirror for a split-second? Why would a wild animal just follow me along the road and home? It had better things to do, no doubt.

The front door clicked and a trio filed out. Car keys were spinning from a girl's index finger while the two others were leaning on each other and whispering something hilarious. She stopped on the walkway.

"New girl, right?" Even though I didn't respond, it was so obvious. "You look like you've had enough. We're leaving, if you want to catch a ride."

I checked the hour on my phone and wow—it was later than I thought. My battery was draining. And I needed sleep to spend tomorrow with Dad. I accepted, and they said I had time to gather my stuff before they'd bring the car here. So I went, reaching the hallway and hobbling up the stairs. I found my clothes in the bag and caught a senior downstairs.

"Can you tell Emma I went home? I don't see her and my ride is waiting!" I shouted.

He tapped my arm and was sent on my way. I nearly tripped on my feet. Maybe I should have had one less drink, but it was too late. Squinting into the darkness, I found the girl in her car. A door opened for me. She said her name at some point but I totally failed to learn it.