Chapter Eight - Soccer Games and Headaches

Start from the beginning

"My brother's always been this way, super social and stuff," Jen explained.

"He's your brother?" Not once did I stop to think why this random guy sat with us or talked to us for no reason. I figured in small towns, everyone was casual around anyone. "You don't look so alike."

"Step-brother, actually," she specified. "My mom married his dad nine years ago."

We regained our seats on the metal staircase. The game resumed shortly afterward. I watched intently, trying to concentrate away from the sweltering lights, but as the match progressed, so did my headache. My mouth dried and my head seemed to weigh a ton. I wanted nothing more than to slip under the covers of my soft, warm bed and have a couple of painkillers.

"Guys, I'm gonna have to call it quits," I told the girls as I stood up. My own voice echoed inside me painfully. "I'm not feeling right."

Emma grabbed my wrist. "You sure you can drive home safely on your own? Jen can give you a ride if you want."

"Yeah, I'm fine enough for that, don't worry." I didn't want to make her miss the rest of the game. "Have fun for me and see you tomorrow."

I stepped down on the stairs, forcing people to lean sideways to let me pass. My sneakers landed on grass and I made my way to the end row of the bleachers, walking past the cheerleaders and benched players. I caught Adam's stare as he watched me leave, stopping for a split-second. With a reassuring smile, I waved goodbye. Projector lights flashed and stabbed into my eyes again.

I found the car and slowly rolled out of the parking lot.

I intended to take it easy before I'd crash Dad's SUV into a pine tree or something. I took the road leading to the hills at the outskirts of town, not bothering to turn on the radio. Before I knew it, droplets of water drummed above my windshield, slicking the asphalt. The soft pitter-patter of rain relaxed my body.

Luck decided to strike again; the engine sputtered with a worrisome noise. The next second, the car stopped moving. Stunned, I ogled at my wheel for a second and tapped it as if that would magically fix it. I knew I had a lot of gas before the game. It couldn't be a shortage.

"What the holy hell..."

I checked the ignition, tried inserting the keys back in, alas nothing. The motor spat and purred. The car didn't budge. I groaned in frustration, eyeing the heavy rain outside.

I braced myself for the tide and hopped out. Lifting the hood, I attempted to identify any abnormality underneath, but couldn't see jack. Water glued the clothes onto my skin, and my hair to my scalp.

I uncovered a flashlight in the glove compartment and returned in front of the hood, pointing the light at the battery with one arm. I was no expert in cars, but it looked fine. I checked the starter motor, perplexed to find nothing unusual. Out of options, I bent down to inspect the tires.

A weird flash caught the corner of my eye. It was far off on the road, embedded in the thick obscurity. Nervous jitters ran down my spine—the last time I was alone at night, I'd been attacked. The jitters were cold and prickly, as if tiny needles poked my skin.

All this over my own flashlight.

I continued to check the tires, not allowing my thoughts to stray elsewhere. God, I was turning into such a scaredy cat. The tires had no punctures and were all but flat.

I straightened. With a sigh, I opened my door to place the flashlight back. In exchange, I extracted my phone. Just as I closed it, I stared into the outside mirror.

A pair of intense, glowing blue eyes in the reflection stared back, several feet behind the SUV. I whipped around, the air freezing in my lungs.

There was... absolutely nothing. But I really didn't want to stay out here another second.

I tugged at the door handle to get inside.

The door didn't unlock. I tried forcing the next one, but no success. I couldn't even enter my car. Just a second ago, I'd been able to. My heart kicked. It was there again, after me. Every bone in my body recognized it. I could have sworn I'd seen a head and limbs along with the eyes.

Oh, sweet baby Jesus... Helplessness swarmed my entire being as the tingling sensation amplified all over my limbs, shooting danger signals left and right.

I stepped away from the vehicle, frantically scanning the road for any movement.

I dug out my cellphone, swallowed hard, and shielded it with my palm from the water. I dialed Dad's number with shaky fingers. The tremors caused me to repeatedly miss the right number on the touchscreen.

I paced in circles over the road, keeping an eye over my surroundings. I needed him to come get me now and fast.

Before he could answer, a deafening klaxon jarred my insides, shocked me as if struck by lightning. Two bright circles sparked in the night, blinding my retina. Rubber squealed over the wet asphalt.

The driver pulled the brakes in a hurry as I gulped in a breath, fear whipping through my body. It was too late. I squeezed my lids, bracing for the inevitable impact. 

✩  

Something strange... in the neighborhood... who you gonna call?? 😉