Chapter 24: "Fear of Abandonment"

Start from the beginning

She was thought as the most brilliant mind in the underground, even if her mind was terribly twisted. Her scaly yellow skin glowed under the bright light in the room as she backed up slightly.

"W-well, i-it appears y-you are alive." She stuttered.

"Oh really? I hadn't noticed." You sassed back.

She frowned at your remark and muttered "I-I liked it b-better when she w-was knocked unconscious..."

"Me too, Alph." Undyne muttered from a chair not far away.

"Where is everyone?" You asked them.

"Alphys made them wait outside, it was way too crowded in here." Undyne responded.

You saw the glint of a metal object beside you and looked over to see a giant syringe. You nearly fell off the table in surprise and Alphys looked at you in confusion.

"What the hell was that for?!" You asked as you scooted further away from the needle.

"I-it wasn't for you, i-if that's what y-you thought." Alphys responded as she adjusted her glasses.

"It was for dinner," Undyne responded nonchalantly.

"Dinner?" You asked with a tilt of your head.

"Yes, dinner." Undyne murmured as she picked up a small book.

You heard a loud crash and you looked over to see Papyrus burst into the room. "I HEARD HER VOICE! IS SHE AWAKE?!" He shouted.

"No Papyrus, she's just sitting up on the table in her sleep." Undyne sassed him.

Papyrus glared at Undyne "IT'S NOT LIKE I CAN SEE HER THROUGH THE DAMNED DOOR!"

Undyne grumbled in response as she continued looking down at the book she had in her hands. Papyrus looked over at you, relief seemingly washing over him. He began to strut over but he was soon pushed aside by Toriel who ran into the room and to you first.

"My child, what happened?! Are you okay? Do you need medicine? Food? Water? CPR?!" Toriel asked you in a panic.

"Calm down Toriel, I'm fine. I just passed out, that's all." You responded calmly as your looked into her red and yellow eyes.

"Fine?! You wouldn't wake up for eight hours!" Toriel exclaimed.

"Was I really out for eight hours?" You asked Toriel in surprise.

"ACTUALLY, IT WAS EIGHT HOURS AND FORTY-TWO MINUTES." Papyrus corrected her.

Toriel rolled her eyes and looked around at Papyrus, "I guess someone was worried." she murmured.

"OF COURSE I WAS WORRIED! SHE JUST BLACKED OUT AND I WAS SCARED SHE'D NEVER WAKE UP AGAIN..." He replied.

"boss was pacing back and forth while mumbling to himself the entire time." Sans spoke as he walked inside.

"I WAS NOT!"

"Yes you were, Papyrus." Undyne murmured as she looked up from her book.

"I-I even saw y-you pacing P-Papyrus..." Alphys responded quietly.

"UGH! SHUT UP, I WAS NOT! AT LEAST NOT FOR THE WHOLE TIME..."

You found it quite cute that he was so worried about you, his skull was turning a slight red in embarrassment. He let out a sigh and looked away from everyone.

"So what if he was really worried about me? I find that quite cute." You commented.

"i'm not sure if he wants to be called cute." Sans commented as he leaned against the wall.

You climbed down from the examination table and made your way over to Papyrus, you tugged on his armor and he turned to face you. His skull was glowing a bright red which was absolutely adorable.

You signaled him to bend down and he complied, you put a hand on his cheekbone and smiled at him. "I'm sorry for worrying you," You spoke calmly.

You didn't want to embarrass him around his 'allies' so you refrained from saying anything too mushy-gushy. He sighed and looked into your (e\c) eyes, "YOU DIDN'T CHOOSE TO PASS OUT, IT IS FINE." he replied.

"YOU ARE FEELING BETTER, RIGHT?" He asked, his pinpricks filled with worry.

"Of course Papyrus," You responded with a smile.

"WHAT HAPPENED? DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS?" He asked curiously.

You removed your hand from his cheek and tapped a finger on your chin. You knew very well what had happened but Gaster said not to tell anyone about him. That means you have to make up some weird excuse. You thought for a second before you finally responded with "I'm not exactly sure but, it may have something to do with the excitement."

"EXCITEMENT?" He tilted his skull to the side in confusion.

"Well, I mean Toriel and Asgore got back together, you and I were pardoned..." You paused for a second.

"And we may make it to the surface." You added after your pause.

"IT MUST BE TERRIBLE DOWN HERE COMPARED TO WHAT YOU'RE USED TO..." Papyrus replied quietly.

"Hey, it's not that bad! I'd rather be down here with you than up on the surface alone." You smiled.

He sighed and stood up, "I DON'T WANT YOU TO BE DISAPPOINTED IF FRISK'S SOUL DOESN'T WORK..."

"I wouldn't be disappointed, you know why?" You asked as you looked up at his tall figure.

"WHY?" He asked you, his gaze brimming with curiosity.

"Because I know that Asgore will take my soul and you all would be free. You wouldn't have any more pain and suffering from living in this hellhole, I only want the best for you all." You responded with a nervous smile.

"BUT THE BEST FOR ME IS YOU... I DON'T WANT YOU TO DIE... I WANT TO BE WITH YOU ON THE SURFACE!" He exclaimed.

"Promise me this Papyrus, enjoy the surface even if I'm gone. Do something good with your fighting abilities and keep your little posse out of trouble, okay?" You replied.

He looked down at you sadly, his pinpricks were filled with sadness and worry. He really didn't want you to ever leave him behind.

He quickly pulled you into a big hug, he held you close and you hugged him back. "PLEASE NEVER LEAVE ME..." He whispered into your ear, his voice filled with emotion.

"I am not planning on it," You whispered back to him.

The room was silent as you two hugged each other, the intense feeling of his worries was obvious to everyone in the room. You even thought you heard Alphys sniffle, it seemed she was moved by your love with Papyrus.

After a few minutes Papyrus finally unwrapped his arms from around you, "I LOVE YOU SO MUCH, (Y\N)..." He whispered.

"I love you too Papyrus." You responded as you got on your tiptoes and kissed him on the cheek softly.

He bent down again and gently held your chin, he carefully brought your lips to his teeth and you wrapped your arms around his neck as you kissed him tenderly. He kissed back and wrapped his own arms around your waist, neither of you cared about the countless eyes staring at you two. What they were witnessing was true love, the only way it could be broken was if death decided to take you or Papyrus.

Oh, how you can only hope Gaster can keep that pesky child away. You wanted the monsters to have the freedom they deserved. Sans, Papyrus, Toriel, Undyne, Alphys and everyone else deserved so much more. Even if you were the answer to their problem, you were happy to free them. You can only hope that Frisk's soul will end up working though, you don't want to leave Papyrus in such a terrible circumstance. He'd be absolutely heartbroken if you passed away and you really didn't want that to happen.