Chapter 1

The Tuesday morning light shone through the windows and onto the pink roses I had on display, the petals becoming almost transparent. The early summer breeze seemed to hit my bones today, my hands shaking slightly as I took out the keys to my shop to unlock the green painted wooden door.

The sounds of the bell above the entrance made me smile slightly as it rang through the silence of the quiet and peaceful space.

I let out a sigh breathing in just wishing my life could be as such, no more hiding or looking over my shoulder.

I ran my hands through my long dark brown hair, everything about me is sadly boring in my opinion.

Plain brown hair and even plainer brown eyes, I still am without jealousy when is see woman with bright coloured hair out the windows.

But I always think why the name start when my hair is dark and so are my eyes? Is there some message or meaning I'm missing or was that just the name I was given?

If only I could ask my parents but that would almost be impossible seeing as they dropped me at a fire station when I was born.

The ting of the bell brought me back to life and a fermiliar voice made my eyes trail to the elderly woman who was looking about "Good morning Starr, did I knock you out of a daydream?"she laughed and I smiled lightly

"Good morning Abigale, and you didn't I wasn't having a daydream I was just... thinking"I smiled steeping out from behind the counter to give her a welcoming hug.

Once every month, Abiglae Knightly comes to my store and buys a bunch of flowers for the grave of her husband Mark.

Her arms wrap around me and she laughs before pulling away , her old voice that's laced in laughter and wisdom as she tells me "it's good to dream deary".

I smile at her words , it is good to dream but I seem to only be able to dream bad things. "Wait till you see what new flowers I got"I smiled to her before running into the back and picking up the bunch I had stashed just for her.

A Bouquet of Lilacs and tiger Lilly's.

"Oh how wonderful!"she smiles as I place them on the counter. Her wrinkled face blossomed as she ran her hand onto the pedals "tiger Lilly's were his favourite"she smiled handing me an American twenty.

"He loved you so much, and he is always going to be with you" I smile helping her out and into her car. An old 1997 hatchback

"Still such a sweetheart"she smiled grabbing my hand in between her two and shaking lightly. Her visits are one of the highlights of my months for the past 2 years , it's sorta sad that I don't take frequent outings with the friends that I don't have , but I don't trust easily making it hard for me to open up.

I sighed looking around the older street , both left and right before tucking my hands into the pockets of my American eagle jeans.

I can't pretend that I don't know what goes on in this part of New York ,I know about the drugs and the gangs and I've had my fair share of break in but i won't and can't judge how others lead there lives.

Not everyone has the luxury of sitting in big offices , whilst having money to just throw up into the air and burn. Even if I had a lot of money I wouldn't keep it all, I would donate my riches to people who need it.

And like a sign from god, a black Lamborghini sped down the road past my little store a group of black SUVs on both ends.

The group of cars stop at the building across the way but I ignore it and walk outside watering the flower beds that line the front of my store

The plants out front were just normal Daisy's but there is always beauty in simplicity, well for flowers at least.

"Hey why don't you go buy some flowers"I heard a man joke rudely to his friends as they waited for whoever was inside to come back out and get into his expensive car and dive to god knows where.

They think even through my back is turned to them I cannot here there rude remarks and snarky laughs, and you wonder why I have such low self esteem.

"Starr!!!"I heard a little girls voice yell and I quickly turned around to meet another one of my favourite costumers and her mother

"Grace"I smile as I picked her little four year old self up awhile her mother caught up to her and met me on the sidewalk "I'm sorry about that, she just loves seeing you"her mom Britt smiled , clasping her hands together.

"It's ok I love her visits"I smile setting her down and grabbing a daisy from my flower bed. I heard grace squeal as I placed it behind her ear and behind her blond hair

"Mommyyyyy lookkkkk" grace yelled tugging on her mums hand and giggled. "I see princess look how beautiful you are! Say thank you!"she smile to her child her matching blond hair tugging with the wind and into her eyes.

"Thank you!"she smiled before running off, skipping away without another word. "Thank you, we will see you again soon!" Britt yelled as she ran after her.

I smiled and watched them as they turned the corner. Britt was the wife of a known drug dealer in these parts, but like I said I don't judge.

I sigh before bringing my hands to my chest, I try to not get jealous but she has what I want most in the world. love, but like the many people through my life have told me

"I don't deserve it"

And maybe there right.

I shook my minds nasty thoughts away and wiped my hands on my jeans , before my eyes caught the looks of almost every guy from across the street.

Why were they staring at me? I think to myself as I finish watering my plants , my white tank top getting soak with water as the faucet is broken and sprays water everywhere ,but I laugh as I turn it off.

I look back at the men who were watching me but my eyes meet a pair that are probably the darkest I've seen in a while.

His steel grey eyes burnt into mine as they held power and anger, his hair was perfect not a single piece was out of places and his jaw line could cut paper

He looked like the Cliché hot guy from the movies.

I smiled at them before fixing my shirt and continuing my work, my thoughts trying to trail back towards him but i won't let them.

Who was that man.