Epilogue

Lucy's POV
4 years later

I hear their voices and laughs as soon as I close the front door. Coming home has always been my favourite part of the day. When I was young because it meant school was over for the day and that I could play with my sister or go out with my friends, now because I get to be with Grace and Ian (if he's not working).

Not wanting to disturb them, I slowly walk towards the windows that leads to the backyard and a huge smile spreads across my face when I see them painting on her drawing pad. Ian then says something that makes her laugh and when she looks at him, he dips his brush into the paint and paints the tip of her nose. She starts laughing hysterically and does the same to him. Soon they have paint all over their faces and clothes and even though I know washing them is going to be a pain in the ass, the smile on her face makes it worth it.

"What's going on here?" I ask as I open the window and approach them.

"Mommy!" Grace says when she sees me and immediately gets up and runs towards me, "I missed you." I pick her up and she throws her arms around me after kissing my cheek. I'm sure I already have paint all over my clothes but I couldn't care less.

"I missed you too. So, so much." I reply and hug her back after kissing her head, "How was your day? Did you have fun with daddy?" I ask and she nods frantically, "What did you do?"

"We went to the park and then we came home and painted."

"That sounds great!" I tell her.

"Hey." Ian says when he reaches us.

"Hey." I reply and give him a kiss. "I heard you had a lot of fun today."

"We did." He confirms, "What about you? How was your day? We missed you."

"It was busy and I missed you too. I wish I could have taken the day off but it was literally impossible." I reply, sadly and give Grace another kiss before putting her on the ground. She immediately runs to the table to finish her painting, leaving us alone and Ian pulls me closer to him.

"You know it's not your fault, right? You're doing your job and Grace knows that."

"I know..." The last few months have been hectic. With both Ian and I working, we don't have as much time to be with Grace as we used to and even though she's already in preschool, I don't want her to feel neglected. We spend as much time with her as we can but sometimes I wonder if it's enough, "But everything is happening at the same time. I'm worried about her reaction when we tell her the news and I have no idea how this is going to affect her. I don't want her to feel abandoned, Ian."

"Goose, calm down. Breathe." He says and caresses my cheek. "We're going to talk with her tonight like we'd planned. We're going to explain everything to her and she'll understand. I know she will." I nod and wrap my arms around his torso and rest my head on his chest.

"Thank you."

"Mommy! Daddy!" Grace calls from the table, "I just finished my painting. Come and see it." She asks and soon Ian and I are by her side, "It's the 3 of us. Do you like it?"

"I love it! It's amazing." I tell her honestly. Her painting skills have improved a lot since she started going to preschool.

"Really?"

"Yes!"

"It's for you." She says and gives me the sheet of paper.

"Thank you so much. I'm going to frame it and put it on our bedroom wall. What do you think?" I ask and her eyes light up as a huge smile spreads across her face, and I laugh before taking her in my arms and giving her a tight hug.