Chapter Nine

Jahseh

" Answer the fucking phone! " I yelled frustrated as I paced the back porch with a cigarette in between my fingers. I pounded my hand against the sliding door and pressed decline hearing his voicemail again. I started to throw my phone when it vibrated and answered it already know who it was.

" Wass- "

" I thought I told you to keep an eye on Satin. " I said to Coolie calming down after he answered causing my voice to break up. I drug my hand down my face anticipating his answer.

" What you mean brother? I did. She was straight the whole time. " he said sounding oblivious. It was questionable though, almost as if he had practiced that line before for preparation for this conversation.

" Straight. " I laughed bitterly into the phone I didn't know being ripped of your innocence was considered 'Straight'.

" So when you called yourself keeping an eye on her what did that consist of? " I asked carefully not to say too much. If Coolie knew anything I wanted him to say it himself. I wasn't going to bring up her being raped or her not going to school. I wanted him to sweat if he knew anything.

He stammered for a while trying to scrap an answer together. " I mean, you know man. Driving passed and making sure nothing looked strange. "

" Ok... I'll hold you accountable then. " I said calmly and hung up without giving him a chance to respond. It didn't matter what he had to say. As my brother, he shouldn't have half assed did something I asked him to do.He risked someone's safety and mental health because he's lazy and I couldn't accept that.

Going back inside I thought about going to check on Satin but decided against it. I wanted to let her get herself together before I started pressing her. I already knew she wouldn't be at school for a while so she would be here with me and Ski. I was more than happy about that though.

There was a knock at the door and I stood to answer confused. Nobody ever knocked on our door in a civilized manner so I knew it was someone foreign here. I opened the door and revealed the pair who were visiting Satin the day of the party.

I stood there blankly staring at them as they stood nervous. " What? "

They both looked at each other strangely when the girl spoke.

" We were coming to see Satin. She's home right? " she said in a nice tone. Her voice didn't match her appearance at all. Her voice was sweet and soft while her features and expressions were very apparent.

" Who are y'all exactly? " I asked with my head turned and my eyebrow raised. I didn't really want strangers in my house at the moment. I wasn't really in the greatest mood and I was on edge about everything.

" Her cousins. " the guy said clearing her throat which made me even more curious as to who they were. Satin and Stokeley share both parents so why don't they acknowledge him?

" Her cousins? " I asked still holding the door only wide enough for me to stand in.

" Jah what are you doing? Let them in. " Satin said from behind me opening the door for them. They all walked past me glaring at me strangely. I grabbed Satin's arm gently before she could get away from me good as they continued to her room.