Chapter Two

They soon pulled up to the house as it was only a few minutes away from the apartment building. Summer stared in awe at the beauty of it. Sure, it needed paint to its once white columns and trim. It needed nails in the loose and fallen shutters. The front porch and railing needed mending, but when it was done it would be fit for a king.

Scaffolding was already attached to the front of the house for the workers to use to reach the high sections of the home as well as the roof.

Summer climbed out of Dana's small car and the sound of loud hammers and saws overwhelmed her.

Summer managed to whisper, "Wow."

She stared at the tangles of bushes that must have once been beautiful. They lined the entire front of the house. A few pink flowers were trying to emerge from some of them. Once someone got their hands in the front garden it had the potential of being gorgeous again.

Dana walked around a neatly stacked pile of building materials. "It's great isn't it?"

Summer followed Dana and gingerly walked up the broken stairs "It's incredible."

"Careful, ladies," an extremely good looking guy with dirty blond hair warned them as they came onto the porch.

He lifted up his sweaty, white, shirt from his stomach, showing the girls a nice set of six pack abs. He wiped his dirty, sweaty, face with it.

He looked from Dana to Summer and then back to Dana again. "There are lots of loose and rotten boards."

"Just like you. Can you be anymore disgusting?" Dana asked, gesturing to his sweaty stomach.

He pulled his shirt off over his head and tossed it towards Dana. It landed on her head, covering her face.

Dana shrieked,"You are so immature," as she wrestled the offending shirt off her head. Shirt finally in hand, she threw it fiercely back at him.

"I know you are, but what am I?" he taunted in a childlike singsong voice.

He looked apologetically over at Summer. "Excuse us. We've got to get in our daily bickering. It's like a caffeine kick, wouldn't you say, Dane?" He winked at Dana.

"I prefer caffeine," Dana grumbled.

Summer couldn't help but stare at the many scars running across the guy's chest.

His face sobered as he took notice of Summer's reaction."You should've seen the other guy." He pasted on a nonchalant smile, but Summer noticed a flash of pain in his eyes before he neutralized his expression.

Summer dropped her gaze to the porch floorboards, embarrassed to be caught looking at his injuries. Obviously, the scars had been a source of pain both physically and emotionally for him. Out of the corner of her eye, Summer saw him pull his shirt back on.

"Sorry, I'm Summer." She put out a hand to him, trying to cut the tension in the air from her faux pas and the fact that he and Dana still shot daggers at each other with their eyes.

He quickly wiped his hands on his jean clad legs and shook her outstretched hand while giving Summer a sexy grin. "Colt James. Nice to meet you."

Dana rolled her eyes and tucked her arms across her chest.

Colt knelt down and searched for something in his toolbox.

Dana cleared her throat. "Summer's going to be staying with Jesse while I'm away for the summer."

He looked up at her in surprise. "Wait. What? Where are you going?"

Dana shrugged."Business trip to Italy."