12 - Road Trip

The last Monday of the school year went by quickly, filled with cleaning out lockers and laughing with friends rather than the usual tedious classes. 

I got home still smiling, glowing with the happiness and energy I had been surrounded with back at school. I slipped my shorts and shirt off and slid on a swimsuit before heading out to my yard. One of my goals for the summer was to get an early start on tanning, and this was just how and when I was planning on doing it. I lay out a towel on the grass behind my house, so people walking by wouldn't be able to see and judge me, and started on my stomach. 

A text came in the second I opened my phone. I had put all the group chats that tended to be spam on do not disturb, so when texts actually appeared as a notification, it meant they were at least partially something of substance. I had a bad habit of reading texts and telling myself that I would respond later, but forgetting, so another one of my goals for the summer was to get better at actually responding. I had gotten in many arguments that were based off a misunderstanding stemming from me forgetting to respond: they thought I was mad at them because I hadn't responded, I thought they were mad at me because they were giving me the silent treatment. It never ended well. 

I opened the text. 

Alex: Are you going to the summer break party? 

Whether people called it the end of year party, summer break party, or the YESSS ITS SUMMER TIME BITCH, SCHOOL CAN SUCK A FAT ONE party, everyone was referring to the same thing. Although to be fair, only Sammy called it the third option. 

My breath caught when I saw who the text was from, but I quickly convinced myself to calm down. He was just going to continue to hurt me. 

I responded immediately, true to my summer goal. 

Me: I thought you were mad at me

Me: Please just leave me alone if you are going to keep hurting me

Me: We can just pretend that you never figured anything out and everyone is happier that way

I stared at my texts after sending them, critiquing them and cringing at them, but fully aware that it was too late to change them. I should have ignored it. I should have avoided the conflict. I should have-

My thoughts were cut off by a soft ding, and his reply popped up. 

Alex: Well that's no fun, is it? 

While I pondered how to respond to that, another text appeared before I could say anything. 

Alex: Anyway are you going or not? 

Me: No I'm not going

Alex: Yes you are

Me: Wtf no I'm not I have to go to New York that night for my parents college reunion

Alex: Are you serious? Can't you get out of it? That's so lame you are literally going to hang out with your parents instead of going to the best party of the year

Me: I don't want to get out of it. I like their college friends

Alex: Is it fun? 

Me: Yeah it's really fun

Alex: K im coming with you then

I sighed at his failed attempt as a joke. 

Me: lol 

Alex: wdym I wasn't kidding

I swallowed, unsure of how to react to this. I didn't want to be mean and say that I didn't want him to come, so I had to think of an excuse.