Chapter 17 {THE FOURTH DAY}

It was another calm cool day in the arena. The night before had yielded a frost that covered the stark metal of the tremendous buildings of the city. It was a huge morning, the sun had risen not even twenty minutes ago. Its warmth and light slowly started to pulsate through the city, melting through frost and waking up the fourteen remaining tribute. The tributes hadn't seen any snowfall for the past few days, and yet it was still cold as ever. Ark Lade had been up for nearly an hour at this point. He never liked to sleep in, it was always get up early, work, eat, then go to sleep after sunset- at least that's how it was in the orphanage.

The young man stood in an alleyway in the western quadrant of the arena. He hid his face under a bright white hood as he stared at the ground and walked. His coat was splattered with blood and dirt and his boots were covered in sewage and mud. He carried a large yet slim battle-axe at his side, dragging it through the thin layer of snow on the ground. It was a surprisingly light weapon, the head of the axe hollowed out to reduce the weight. As he trotted through the snow he would occasionally reach up to his nose and itch it, messing with the silver septum piercing hanging from his nose like a bull.

Ark looked at the ground with strange determination as he followed the tracks of another tribute. He observed their size and shape- small feet and small steps. He concluded it to be either one of the girls or a small child like Park or Finn. He honestly hoped to his god that it wasn't a child. He didn't want the massacre children to be his legacy- no he had much bigger plans. He would be remembered long after his death as "Ark Lade, Winner of the Final Hunger Games" and one of the finest warriors in the country. He would no longer just be good for nothing orphan with an affinity for drugs and sex. He would amount to something. He would be looked at in awe for generations to come. He hadn't planned on being in the games, but it was too late now. He had killed three people. No coming back now.

Ark followed the tracks for a long time, not stopping once to take a break. He continued on and on, nearly for another hour trudging through the intricate labyrinth of alleyways that were spread throughout the arena. Whoever had made these tracks was smart, cautious and aware of their tracks. Ark supposed the average tribute would have given up by now, but he wouldn't. He would find his prey and slaughter it like the victor he was. He was like a lone wolf hunting down its prey.

It became apparent when Ark had finally neared his destination- his target. The warm scent of smoke lingered in the air and in the distance he could hear the soft crackling of fire. HIs steps became lighter and quicker, progressing into a light jog. He swung his axe upwards onto his shoulder as he got closer and closer. Turn after turn, the smokey smell of burning wood filled the air more and more. He was almost there.

Finally, he made it. With a final turn of the alleyway,ay, he found himself in a large snow-covered space. Four skyscrapers acted as fortress walls, enclosing the space, and protecting it from the rising sun. It was fairly dark, lit up only by the dim blue of the sky and the small crackling fire at the center of the square. Next to the fire was a girl about Ark's age with a thin face and long auburn hair. She immediately looked up at Ark and her dark brown eyes locked in with his. He recognized her on sight, Kota Jackson.

"If you're here to kill me, you know I won't go down without a fight. Right?" she said as she looked at him. Ark paused for a moment, his eyes widening.

"Yes... I know. You know I've always resp-"

"Cut it with the bullshit" Kota interrupted him as she stood up. She rolled her eyes as she wiped snow from her pants. She had a black sheath at her side with steel short-sword in it. She subtly placed a hand on the pommel of the weapon as she brushed a lock of frizzy hair behind her ear. "I know you're a smooth talker. I won't be distracted with your compliments snake. A person with respect does not collapse the throat of a fucking fourteen year old girl." she spat at him. Arks eyes began to glow with rage.