Chapter 10 {THE LAST NIGHT}

There was only twenty-four hours left. Twenty-four hours until it all began The 76th Hunger Games. It would only be another day until the first blood was to be spilled onto the cold concrete of the last arena to ever be created… Tensions were high and the anxiety of the tributes were reaching a new high. To the few tributes who had stayed relatively calm the past few days the news was starting to truly hit them. They were going to be killed, or be killers. Sadly enough most preferred the latter, although some were more malicious in their wishes.

Bettina Clark, who knew a fourteen year old could fantasize so much about death? As Bettina Clark got ready for her interviews, she wandered about the quarters a smirk plastered onto her face. She was ready for this, she knew the importance of the interviews. Have a bad interview and you risk losing sponsors... Or trick the tributes and the capital to an even larger extent, in her case that is. Bettina had a plan alright, a good one at that. Step one, get a medium rated score- low enough to go undetected but high enough to not put a target on her back as easy prey. Step 2, appear unrealistically average during the interviews- still undetected. Step 3, surprising the whole country get in a kill during the bloodbath. Then she has impressed the whole nation gaining sponsors and fans. It wasn’t actually the worst plan. She knew she could pull it off.

Now you see, Bettina had been watching the games ever since she was six. Every year her and her siblings would host parties, dance, and drink whilst watching the games cheering on their favorite tributes and crying when and if they got killed. Like many capitol children subjected to watching the games Bettina had fantasized about being in the games. She thought about her battle plans, her kill moves, even the way she would look wearing the victor's crown. Now of course she was unable to participate in the gems, that was until now.

When the Capitol Games had been announced most of the children who had once fantasized about the games wept. The realization came to them that the games were not the wondrous yet bloody shows they used to watch. The games were oppression itself. Oppression seen as entertainment through the blinded eyes of the capitol. Bettina didn't see it this way. Where most saw an anxiety inducing possibility Bettina saw her dream. And when her name was called at the reapings she smiled…

Two more hours until the interviews were to start, she had to be downstairs to get herself done up soon. She did not want to be late, and so Bettina left headquarters wearing nothing but a white tank top and black leggings, light and easy to get on. She was the only one in the halls, as she left much earlier than almost all the other tributes, the more time she gave to the stylists the better she would look. Her plan may have had been to go under the radar but she still wanted to look her best, this was her time to shine.

When Bettina had gotten to the styling floor she headed straight for her individual room. Pushing open the small silver door, inscribed with her name on it, BEttina was met by her stylists-Hawk and Aqua. Hawk was an older gentlemen, short and stout in figure. He wore a dark grey suit with hundreds of feathers covering the tie and sleeve and a small black hat with  small beaks down onto the front. Bettina hated him. She thought him to be a bossy and dull man who had no sense of style. Bettina was far more fond of her makeup artist, Aqua. Aqua was also older, with dyed green hair and blueish gray skin that almost made her look diseased. She maintained a youthful appearance though, with next to no wrinkles and very trendy “hip” tattoos covering her seemingly frail arms.

“Ready to be TRANSFORMED!” Aqua chirps in a light and airy voice. She walks over to Bettina before reaching over her shoulder to gently push the door closed. Being close to the girl Aqua quickly scans over Bettina with her pale gray eyes. Bettina observers Aquas eyes dart over her body before meeting with her own deep set brown eyes.

“Hawk go get the white one out….” She murmurs just loud enough for the older man to hear. Bettina looks at Aqua her eyebrows lowering into a questioning state.