1.2

"Are you done?" Lacey asked softly as we placed multi colored cups in front of each plate.

I huffed, "with?"

"Ethan... it all?" she mumbled, not daring to meet my eye.

I looked at her, my gaze softening as I sighed, "yes, I'm done"

She nodded, a small smile curved onto her face, "are you okay?"

I furrowed my brows, leaning on one of the foldable chairs with my arms crossed, "I guess" I licked my bottom lip, "now that it's all over..."

I pushed myself off the chair and played a genuine smile on my face as Grayson began to walk over, "I pulled the tarp off the pool and placed chips on every table-"

"Chips?" Lacey interrupted, walking closer to him, "what type?"

"Um... sour cream and onion, barbecue, salt and vinegar-"

"WHICH TABLE IS THE SALT AND VINEGAR ON" she yelled, scanning each table.

"The one by the couches-" he pointed, yet she had already sprinted by.

"Fucking hell I'm gonna have to get another bowl" he sighed, shaking his head.

I laughed, fixing my hair as I stood up straight. As the silence set in between us I could feel my expression begin to drop, my head racing.

"Hey" he whispered, hip bumping me, "you ok?"

"Oh" I chuckled, moving a strand of hair behind my ear, "yeah, yeah, just... nervous"

"About?" he smiled.

"Everything..." my voice lowering.

His eyebrows narrowed as he looked forward.

"Ethan?" he asked softly, causing my eyes to grow wide.

I sighed, closing my eyes gently as I nodded, ashamed of my answer.

"He's going through a lot" Grayson finally said, "he's never been humiliated like this"

I felt my heart in my throat, if he knows it's you, he will never forgive you

"I can't say he deserved it" he sighed, "but I think it was a wake up call..."

I nodded along in silence, letting him subtly trying to convince me that it isn't my fault, that he deserved it.

"You shouldn't feel guilty, you especially" he whipped his head towards me, "if anything I would expect you to be through the moon right now" he chuckled.

I shrugged, "Maybe she went too far this time"

He nodded along, "I guess so"

I let out a deep breath, looking up to him. He was looking out, his gaze nowhere in particular. The sun tickled the golden aspects of his hair as he let out a sigh, his hazel eyes falling onto mine, a small smile growing on his face.