5 - THE MEETING 2

HEIDI was waiting for an empty cab in the shed. It was raining since she left the house this morning.

A car stop beside her. The door opened and she saw Miss King in the driver seat.

"Come on. It's hard finding an empty cab at this weather."

Without thinking twice she board towards the open door. Miss King drove away the moment she closed the passenger door.

"I have a small towel at the globe box."

She open the compartment and she found the towel. She dried her face and her arms.

"Thank you."

"Are you going home?"

"I need to go to the store. I have to buy Diego's milk."

Miss King nodded. A few minutes later they stopped in front of a department store.

Miss King get an umbrella from the floor of the back seat.

"Wait for me."

She descend from the car and went to her side. When she opened the door, the umbrella is already overhead protecting them both from the downpour.

They went inside the store. Her feet wander towards the baby products.

She stood in front of Diego's brand of milk.

"It's not going to fall itself."

"I know. I'm contemplating between jumping or using my magic powers to get them."

Miss King chuckled. "Nobody suppose to know that you have secret powers."

The tall woman reached for the box of powdered milk effortlessly. She heave a sigh.

"Anything else?"

She did not utter a word. She went to get her brand of sanitary napkin.

After they paid for the supplies they drive towards her house. She told her the address.

She noticed that she knows her way in the area. She then remember that Miss King used to live here.

"Come inside. Have a cup of coffee until this heavy rain stops." She invited when they reach her house.

"Can't say no to that."

Miss King insisted on carrying the supplies as they went inside the house.

"Baby, I'm home." She call out.

"Mommy!" She heard her son's giggled. She waited as his short legs carry him to her. "Mom!"

She kneeled down and carry her son. She put her nose in his neck as she breath his baby scent.

"Did you behave?"

Diego stayed quiet. She restrain herself from laughing.

"He did not." Her mom answered when she reached them.

"What did he do?"

"He did not put his toys back in the box."

"What are you going to say, Diego."

"I'm sorry, gramma."

"Put it back next time, okay."

"Yes, mommy."

She put her son down and face her guest.

Miss King was looking around. She even went to the pictures beside the wall.

"You were quite young when you had Diego."

"Yes, I was 18. Fresh out of high school."

"Where is his dad?"

"He went AWOL when he learned that I was pregnant."

"Where is he now?"

"I don't know. We left after high school and we transferred here when I got the job."

"What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger." She almost whispered.

She chose not to respond.