12 - THE ENCOUNTER

THERE were only a few people loitering inside the campus of St. Andrews Institute of Science and Engineering as Kayla parked the car.

It was mid-afternoon and the summer heat is felt the moment she descend from the car.

After asking for directions she marched toward the building she asked for. A few glanced her way when they recognized who she is.

She smirked when she stumble upon the person she never look forward to meet today. The said person was also stun upon seeing her.

"What are you doing here?"

"Last I check you do not own the school, Mrs. Gutierrez." The older woman's jaw tightened. "See you around."

She walked away from her. She almost wanted to whistle upon seeing her in distress.

"Was it not enough for you to embarrass me in front of the students and parents that you have to show your face in this school again?"

She halted but did not bother turning around. "As long as your ass is in the teaching post, I'll be around."

"Is that how money change you?"

"No. This is how you made me, Mrs. Gutierrez."

She resumed walking and made a turn to reach the department where the person she wanted to visit works.

She knock twice before turning the knob. Two people were looking at her when she peeked at the door.

She smiled even though both of them were wide-eyed.

"Good afternoon, ladies. I'm looking for Heidi."

Instead of answering her, the duo pointed at the person who was walking towards her.

"Hey." She waved her hand when she found the reason of her visit.

Oh, Diego's mom is frowning.

She invited herself inside and stand beside her. She sigh in relief when the cold air from the AC embraced her.

"What are you doing here?"

"I was thinking that maybe we could------"

"Kayla?"

They both looked at the person who called her name. She was surprised when she recognized the person.

"Hi."

"What are you doing here?"

How could this school monopolized that question, she thought.

"You knew each other, Ms. Barrios?" Asked one of the ladies who pointed at Heidi when she asked a while ago.

"Yes, we were the rebels back then."

She chuckled. She walked towards Yna. She reached for a handshake.

She was startled when Yna pulled her for an embrace. She hugged her back before grinning.

"Please don't be a stranger." She whispered.

Yna was beaming when they pulled away. She smiled back.

"So, care to tell me the purpose of your visit? I'm sure that Mrs. Gutierrez is shaking on her toes at the moment."

She laughed hard with her old friend's statement. She maybe right.

"I'm visiting Heidi."

She went back to Heidi's. She put her hand at the small of her back like it was a natural thing to do. She also felt the younger woman stiffened at her action.

"You knew each other?"

"Yes."

"Can you organized a get-together with Bernadette? I haven't seen her in a while."

"I'll tell her."

"Can we invite Sheila? I heard she was here, too."

"We'll see."

Yna chuckled. "Bernadette would skin me alive if we invite that bitch. That friend of yours knew where her loyalty lies."

She chose to answer her with a smile that utter a word.

"You work here, Yna?"

"I do. I'm the department head for social sciences. And yes, I am one of them." She shook her head but still smiling. "I never visit my students' home though."

They both laughed at underlying meaning of her words.

She and Yna stayed friends even after her talk with Mrs. Barrios. She followed what Mrs. Barrios told her. She stayed away from Yna but she explained why. Though Yna wanted to defy her mother, she told her not to.

They communicate but never mingle together. When she left to be with her father, the three of them never cut their friendship.