Mirror

Rose

I gaze at myself whilst sitting in front of a dirty mirror with a slight crack penetrating from the bottom. It illustrates what I look like on the inside, a venomous picture of beauty. The image of sex for men, and women's source of jealousy. I am so tainted in every way, by many men who I let destroy me. Numb, I don't feel anything at all. There's a constant hollowness within my chest, do I have a heart? I bet if you cracked me open and looked inside there would be a black disgusting looking thing that is so far gone and ruined you should dump in the fire as if it's a witch. Bored, bored, bored. That is why I do what I do. The fun keeps my heart pumping for a little while at least. That is why I am a whore. I might as well be a witch. I analyze the red rose Will had given to me, roses are complex, beautiful but covered with splinters. William will be disgusted once he finds out who I truly am.

Edward face reflects in the mirror as he walks into the room, as smug as ever, "Did you see your lover my dear Rose?"

I turn towards him, "Yes", I continue, "He confessed to me and I told him we cannot be together, it seems your threat didn't scare him off, he loves me enough."

I turn away from him but I can still his smirking face. He starts laughing, "Ah my love, you are quite the actress I must say."

I take no pride in what I do. But it is what I know how to do best.

Edward moves closer towards me and wraps his slimy fingers around my neck and squeezes unforgivingly, "Now all you need to do is play the damaged wife so that your beloved 'Will' will give us what we want."

I watch emotionless as his grip tightens. I could not care less if I die.

His eyes lurk over my desk where the rose sits. Edward seizes the delicate flower. "Roses smell so sweet don't you think so, Rose?"

He crushes it in his fist and red petals scatter onto the floor.

William

"Brother, I hear you've been spending lots of time with Rose lately, I hope you do know she is married." John has been teasing me all week.

"You yourself should realize me and her are just friends and we always have been."

He chuckles like a child, "Weren't you going to confess you love her before she married Lord Edward?"

I snap, "She is like a sister to me and always has been, I have no idea what you're talking about."

"I clearly remember you wrote her a letter and sent it to her, telling her you would run away with her if she wished. Only at sixteen too, how young and in love."

A shock runs through my body, "How did you know about that?"

"Mother discovered the letter with the mailman, she wanted to rip your head off and stopped the letter from getting to Rose."

A force of rage overwhelms my entire body, the anger bubbles underneath my skin ready to implode.

I storm out of the room and search for my mother.

William

My mother sits lady-like sipping tea in the dining hall with Rose and Lord Edward. An unfamiliar look flashes through Roses eyes.

"William!" my mother exclaims, "Come join us, Rose and Lord Edward were just telling me about their glorious trip to Verona."

"Mother." It feels like winter is in this very room.

I greet Lord Edward and shoot him a deep-frozen look.

Rose smiles at me, "Are you alright Will?"

"Yes, why would I not be, how can anyone be upset after seeing a woman as beautiful as you, my lady?"
My mother shoots me a dirty look.

I sit down beside my mother and pour tea into a cup, "So Lord Edward, please tell me about a favorite hobby of yours I am very much interested as to what a lord does in his free time."

Lord Edward looks unfazed whilst my mother and Rose are visibly anxious.

"My favorite hobby William is hunting. I very much enjoy a great hunt. Chasing a prey makes one feel rather powerful."

"So, you like killing Lord Edward?"

"William!", my mother scowls.

"No, it is alright madam, the boy is curious so I will explain it to him. I love chasing a live animal just like any other hunter. It sends a thrill throughout a one's body and it is almost like the sweet release of an orgasm when you snatch it and strangle the life out of the wild thing." This man is completely mad.

My mother intervenes, "All this talk of hunting and killing has made me feel sick, William could you please accompany me to my room so that I could rest."

We excuse ourselves and I help her to her room.

Closing the door behind me, I turn towards her with an annoyed look.

She looks at me frustrated, "Why on earth would you disrespect Lord Edward, he is our guest!"

"You and I both know why mother."

She freezes in shock before answering. "I know you've always loved Rose but she married."
"I cannot help but yell, "You made sure of that didn't you mother, you prevented me from telling her how I felt before she was married."

"I was trying to protect you it was for your own good, if you stopped her wedding Lord Edward's family would have had our heads!"

She places her hands on my shoulders and sighs, "You must let her go."
"I am sorry mother. I will not lose her again."

I slam the door behind me with all my might.

I send my servant with a note asking Rose to meet me in the garden in one hour.