Thirty Seven - Looking at Something

"Arin! Wait for me!" Suzy cried out after him as he practically dived out of the car and sprinted across the lot towards the hospital.

It was dark by now and Suzy didn't want him to get hurt if he wasn't really paying attention to his surroundings. Arin had been cool and collected for the most part since the call from Barry, but Suzy knew him too well and could tell that he was worried sick about Dan. She didn't blame him.

Arin would have thrown the door to the emergency ward open in his hurry if it wasn't insanely heavy. Barry had texted him shortly after the call to tell him where he was so it didn't take Arin long to spot him. He rushed up to him, Suzy following closely behind.

"Barry. Hey, we came as fast as we could. Are you okay? How's Dan?" Arin said quickly as he sat down beside Barry.

Suzy sat down next to Arin, resting a hand on his and rubbing his knuckles comfortingly as she could hear in his tone him fighting to stay calm. They weren't together anymore, but they'd both admitted that they still loved each other, so behaviour like this wasn't exactly strange for them. Arin flashed her a grateful smile as he waited for Barry's reply.

"I'm.. I'll be fine," Barry said, sighing as he wiped a few tears from his eyes, "As for Dan, I'm not sure. He was in so much pain when I found him that I couldn't get much out of him and since the nurses took him I haven't heard anything."

Arin bit his lip hearing that.

"Earlier at the office Dan told me that he'd had a migraine yesterday and that Brian was worrying for no reason. I... I told him to back off. What if I hadn't done that? Maybe he'd have noticed something before it got so bad?" Arin couldn't help but finally voice what had been on his mind.

His eyes too started to fill with tears. Could he have prevented this somehow?

"Don't blame yourself for this, Arin," Suzy said gently next to him, "You couldn't have done anything different, but you can be here for him now."

"Yeah, don't beat yourself up. Nothing happened until tonight, so even if you hadn't said anything to Brian I don't think he'd have seen anything," added Barry.

"I guess you're right."

At that moment a nurse came round the corner. Her eyes landed on Barry and she came over. The three friends looked up hopefully but her expression wasn't exactly comforting.

"How is he?" asked Barry worriedly.

"There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him that we can see, so we're going to be keeping him overnight and running some more tests," the nurse informed them.

"Can we see him?" asked Arin.

The nurse looked unsure.

"We've given him some strong painkillers already, so he is a bit loopy at the moment, and visitor hours are over, but I'll give you a few minutes. Follow me," she agreed finally, leading them away.

Arin felt a whole cocktail of emotions as they followed the nurse through the empty hallways. He was glad that he could see Dan, but also oddly wary of what he would see. The last time he saw his boyfriend he was kissing him goodbye before he went home with Barry. It didn't feel right that the next time he would see him was in a hospital high on painkillers. He was also worried by what the nurse had said - that they couldn't find what was wrong.

Shaking his head, he pushed the feeling down. They would run some tests, and they would find out what was wrong and fix it. That's what hospitals were for.

He supposed that his expression gave something away; he felt Suzy grab his hand and give it a reassuring squeeze. He looked down at her and she smiled.

"Hey, it'll be okay," she told him.

"I know. I'm just worried."

They reached the room and the nurse went in first, holding the door for them. Barry entered first, muttering thanks to the nurse as Arin and Suzy followed.

"I'll come and get you in a few minutes," said the nurse, leaving the room again and giving them some time alone.

Dan was sat up in a hospital bed, his back propped up by some pillows as he stared off into the distance, looking a little confused. He didn't seem to have heard that he had company.

"Hi." Barry made the first move.

Dan's head turned a little and his eyes widened, surprised.

"Hey... Barry?" he said slowly, processing the voice before he spoke.

"Yeah, and Arin and Suzy are here too. How are you feeling?"

"Oh, I have a crowd. Am I famous or something?" Dan commented with an airy giggle, "I feel... floaty."

"That'll be the meds they gave you. The nurse said you'd be a bit loopy," said Suzy with an amused smile.

"That makes sense. What happened?" Dan's brow creased a little in confusion.

"Well, you were in a lot of pain so I brought you here," explained Barry briefly, keeping it short so Dan would understand in his current state.

"Pain..." mumbled Dan to himself as he tried to think about it.

"What do you remember?" asked Arin, finally finding his voice.

Dan broke into a goofy grin at the sound of Arin's voice. Whatever train of thought he had previously disappeared and his focus shifted.

"Hey Big Cat, how are you?" he said in a light tone, forgetting that they weren't alone and using the pet name without thinking.

Arin blushed seeing Barry's amused expression.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I was kinda worried, but I'm glad you're okay now," he replied awkwardly.

"You sound so far away, Big Cat. Come closer," complained Dan, reaching out like a child.

Arin heard Suzy "aw" and give a giggle as he walked up to Dan, sitting himself down in a chair by the bed. Dan heard him and grabbed out, eventually finding his hand. He interlocked their fingers and gave a lopsided smile.

"There. Isn't that better?" he said, and Arin could tell that he really wasn't there at all from his faraway tone.

"You never answered my question."

"Hm?"

"Do you remember anything?" Arin reminded him gently.

A thoughtful expression settled on Dan's face.

"No, not really."

He looked like he might say something more but was interrupted as his eyes widened and he gave a short, surprised gasp. Then, the corners of his mouth lifted into a smile as he moved his head in a slow, knowing nod.

"There they are again," he said offhandedly, then lapsing into silence as he seemed to once again get distracted.

"There are what?" urged Arin.

"The flashes..."

Dan's voice trailed off as he lifted his free hand and gestured in front of his face, indicating where the "flashes" were. His whole countenance suggested that he was completely out of it and imagining it, and Arin might have thought that if it wasn't for the look in his eyes. They were focused on a point, not vacant and drifting.

Dan was looking at something.