Twenty Eight - Fresh Start

Suzy came into the office the next morning looking a little worse for wear. Like Arin she'd had a hard time sleeping that night, the troubling thoughts in her head and the absence of the other keeping her awake. She'd barely put on any makeup, not feeling up to spending hours in front of a mirror, and had let her hair fall naturally from her head, brushed only to get the knots out. She wore a thrown on outfit, an oversized sweater and leggings.

Deep down she knew that how she was feeling would pass - it was just the initial shock - but it still hurt like hell. In truth she'd known for a while that there was something going on between Arin and Dan, even before the accident. They were best friends, sure, but there had always been something else in the way they spoke and interacted with each other that she was sure even they weren't aware of at the time. It had just taken one thing to finally push those hidden feelings to the surface. And it seemed that Dan's blindness was that push, for whatever reason she couldn't even begin to guess.

Unsurprisingly her appearance didn't go unnoticed by the others in the office. The first person to see was Holly, being another female and able to spot these things from a mile off. She took Suzy by the hand and took her to the side. Suzy instantly avoided her eye, knowing full well how awful she looked.

"You look terrible! Is something wrong?" Holly asked even though the answer to her question was obvious.

Suzy nodded weakly. She knew what question was coming next, but could she really answer it? She longed to vent her heartbreak to someone, but she also knew that it wasn't her secret to tell. Dan and Arin needed to be the ones to reveal it, and as much as she hated it she had to respect that. She wasn't the kind of person to go behind people's backs like that.

"What is it?"

Yep, I knew it.

"I... I can't say," Suzy replied, not knowing how else to put it.

"Come on, Suzy. I can tell that you're really upset about something. Tell me and maybe I can help," Holly urged gently.

"Arin can tell you." Suzy shook her head in refusal.

Holly sighed, realising that she wasn't going to get an answer. She pulled out her phone and dialed someone. Suzy stayed where she was, curious as it was picked up and Holly put the phone to her ear.

"Hey, Arin. Can you come into the office as soon as possible? I need to pick your brains about something," she said, her voice friendly but laced with sternness.

Judging from the expression on Holly's face Suzy guessed that she got the response that she wanted. That made Suzy's heart drop; not doubt Holly would want her there as well, so she couldn't exactly make up and excuse and leave. She would finally have to face Arin about this.

~ Arin's POV ~

"Did she say what she wanted to talk to you about?" Dan asked from the back seat as Arin pulled out of the driveway.

"No, she just said 'something'. She sounded kind of annoyed though, so I'm a little worried," Arin replied.

"Don't worry dude, maybe she's just having a bad morning?"

"Mm, maybe," Arin hummed in response to Dan's innocent guess, though he didn't think that was it at all.

He put on some music to distract himself as they drove. It didn't really work and all too soon he was parking again, the dreaded conversation with Holly looming just around the corner. He wanted to procrastinate going inside as much as possible, but that would just be suspicious. Taking a deep breath he walked in, Dan following behind him closely.