One - Waking Up

The first thing that returns is the feeling in his limbs, and a strange, unexplained pain throbbing just behind his eyes.

Then comes sound - muffled voices that he can't distinguish between at first, but soon begins to recognise as two of his closest friends.

"When do you think he'll wake up?" asked Ross, sounding more curious than concerned.

"I don't know," replied Arin with a kind of sigh, "The doctors say that he's past the life-threatening part, and that we just have to wait until he actually wakes up."

Dan's throat felt dry, and while he wanted to speak, or just give them any kind of sign that he was conscious, his body simply wouldn't let him. It was more frustrating than anything.

"It's been weird these past few weeks, Dan," Arin continued, now speaking to him instead of Ross, "Not having you around. Man, I wish you'd just wake up already... It's getting old."

He added that last comment with a small chuckle. Dan smiled internally; Arin always masked his emotions with humour like that, and while it would be nice for him to not hide it, it was also kind of funny.

Arin and Ross started to talk again about other stuff and Dan's mind settled on himself again.

What happened to me?

The thought seemed to bring with it a new ounce of strength and Dan managed to let out a small groan. His friends fell silent and for a moment neither of them said anything. Arin was the first to break the silence.

"Dan?"

In response Dan let out another groan, this time moving his head a little in experiment of what other muscles he could use. His eyes were still closed but he could imagine the smiles on Arin and Ross's faces.

"Woah, Dan! Hey, Ross, call Suzy and Brian!" cried Arin excitedly.

Ross made a short sound of agreement, then followed by the door as he vacated the room. That left Arin with Dan.

"Dan, can you hear me? Move your hand if you can hear me," he requested.

Though every movement ached like hell, Dan forced his left hand to shift slightly in the direction of Arin's voice, who seemed to be sat to that side of him. He felt his friend's hand land on his.

"God, man, why'd you have to scare me like that?"

A short, raspy laugh escaped Dan's lips. He cringed internally at the sound, but it was music to Arin's ears. He laughed in response, letting go of Dan's hand now that the short heartfelt moment was over.

"Sorry..." Dan somehow managed to force out.

The grating pain in his throat that followed made him regret his actions, but once again Arin was elated by the sound. Who could blame him? He hadn't heard Dan's voice in weeks.

"Do you remember anything that happened?" Arin ventured, steering the conversation topic.

Dan knew from listening that he was most likely in a hospital, though why was a mystery to him. He wracked his brain for memories, but all he could really recall was heading home at the end of the day. He remembered getting out of his car, so he guessed that a car crash wasn't what had befallen him. After that everything was blank.

"No, not re- ... Can I have some water?" he cut himself off, the dryness of his throat becoming suddenly unbearable.

"Uh, sure. Just a sec. Here."

Dan felt the rim of a water bottle against his lips. He managed to open his mouth and swallow a little, but the cold liquid that he felt dribbling from him chin onto his chest told him that most of it missed his mouth. He did, however feel better after the drink.

"Whoops," he breathed with another laugh.

Arin laughed too, and a second later Dan felt his friend dabbing a tissue around his mouth, and then at his shirt. He gave him a quiet thanks and the conversation devulged into silence despite the fact they hadn't spoken in weeks, and should probably have had a lot to say to each other.

"Can you open your eyes at all? It's kind of awkward talking to you when you look like you're asleep," asked Arin suddenly.

His joke made Dan chuckle, and he was more than glad to try to open his eyes. He'd only withheld this long because it was a more relaxing position, but he was dying to see Arin's face again.

Wincing a little at the pain that still lingering behind them, Dan forced his eyes open. Or at least, he tried to. His vision stayed dark.

Dan opened his mouth to apologize to Arin and say that he couldn't, but he was interrupted before he could even make a sound. And the words that left Arin's mouth sent a chill down his spine:

"Yeah, much better."