Twelve - Breakfast

"Arin?"

Arin felt someone shake him gently awake and his eyes blinked open. The first thing he saw was the TV, having gone into standby at some point. There were two empty pizza boxes on the coffee table in front of him. He must have fallen asleep during the movie at some point.

"Arin."

He looked up to see his wife, Suzy, standing by the couch smiling at him.

"Oh, Suzy? W-What time is it?" Arin sleepily asked.

"Like, 10am. I just came to see how you were. I'm heading into the office now, so I guess I'll see you there later?"

"Uh, yeah, sure."

Suzy leaned down and kissed him on the forehead, brushing some of his hair from his face and behind his ear. The corners of Arin's mouth tugged up into a half-asleep smile at the affection. He watched as Suzy walked up to the front door, preparing to leave. She looked back at him and let out a short giggle.

"You two look so cute like that," she said, walking out.

Arin's slow mind wasn't sure what she meant at first. That is, until he felt a movement beside him, followed by the sounds of light snoring. Turning his head he saw a ball of curls still laid up next to him, snuggled up in a soft blanket. He smiled, remembering finally the events of last night. The way that Dan had laid his head on his shoulder - the way he fell asleep on him.

He looked so peaceful that it was a shame to wake him up. But he needed to.

"Dan?" he called, feeling already guilty.

The ball of hair hummed in acknowledgement but didn't move.

"We need to get up, buddy," Arin said gently, "We can't stay like this forever."

"Eh... bu whyy not?" Dan mumbled in response, nestling further into Arin.

Arin chuckled and started to sit up, much to a tired Dan's despair, who was quite comfortable where he was and didn't like his pillow moving. Eventually he gave in and sat up too, though he looked far from happy with the outcome. He folded his arms and pointedly turned away from Arin. Arin laughed.

"Aw, don't be like that!" he cried.

"You disturbed my slumber, and I don't appreciate it," Dan responded without a trace of humour.

"Well, while you sulk like a baby I'm gonna go make us some breakfast. And by make I mean pour two bowls of cereal, because I can't cook," Arin said, getting up and walking into the kitchen.

As soon as he was sure that Arin was out of the room Dan dropped the act, letting himself smile. He pulled the blanket tighter around himself, standing up and reaching for his cane. Still feeling kind of drowsy he made his way to the table and slumped into a chair, hearing Arin from the kitchen opening a cupboard and retrieving a box of cereal.

He heard the sound as Arin ripped the box open, then followed by the satisfying sound of the cereal filling two bowls. He could hear each individual piece as it clattered against the concave ceramic object. He leaned forward on his hands and listened as Arin put the box away, then opening the fridge and picking up the milk. The sound of the milk pouring into the bowls, making the cereal crackle slightly sent tingles down Dan's spine. He'd never realised how great sounds could be when undisturbed by visual input.

Arin walked to the table with the two bowls in hand. He saw Dan already sat there, a stupid smile on his face. Giggling slightly he placed a bowl in front of him.

"What's got you looking so happy all of a sudden? Just a minute ago you were sulking because I woke you up," he queried.

"Just listening to you making our breakfast. It's oddly satisfying," Dan replied nonchalantly, picking up his spoon and starting to eat.

Arin frowned, confused.

"What's satisfying about it?" he pressed.

"I dunno. The sound of it just makes me feel all... tingly."

Tingly? Like what I've been feeling? Probably not. I doubt that Dan finds the sound of pouring cereal adorable, Arin couldn't help but think.

"Okay," he accepted, digging into his own bowl.

The two men ate in complete silence for a while. Dan finished his bowl first and leaned back in his chair, stretching.

"So, what're you doing today?" he asked Arin.

"I'm going into the office. Do you want to come? Y'know, now that you've started using that cane?" Arin replied.

He eyed Dan warily, not sure whether he would be willing to go that far. It hadn't even been a day since he started using it, after all. He watched with relief as Dan broke into a grin.

"Yeah, of course! Your house is so boring!" he exclaimed.

Arin shot him a glare even though he couldn't see it.

"Hey, you take that back."

Dan laughed at his statement but didn't obey.