Thirty Six - Hospital

Dan fought through the rest of day, and as it was Arin decided to tell Brian that he was annoying Dan. After that he stopped keeping such a close eye on him, hearing it from someone else finally driving it home for him how over the top he was being. From his perspective after all, Dan looked completely fine today. Dan was doing a good job of hiding it from everyone every time it happened.

At the end of the day he drove home with Barry as always. They talked as always. They ate dinner together as always and watched TV as always. It was like any other evening, or at least it was trying to be.

Dan's pain had been increasing steadily all day. He still couldn't place where he'd felt it before, but it didn't make it any easier to manage.

"Are you feeling okay, Dan? You're being kinda quiet," Barry wondered as they watched a movie together.

Over time Dan had gotten used to just listening to movies. He'd bought a few with audio-description, but those were for his own spare time. When it came to friends he didn't mind just listening. Of course he couldn't appreciate it quite the same way without sight, but his friends' company made the experience worthwhile.

"Hm, sorry?" Dan breathed, trying to recover from a particularly painful bout of flashes.

"You're very quiet. I was just wondering if you were okay," repeated Barry.

Dan rubbed his eyes, trying to relieve some of the pain. He gave a groan as it didn't help.

"If I'm being honest, not really. I think I'm gonna call it a night, if you don't mind."

"Not at all man. If you don't feel well then it's probably best if you get some rest," Barry said, his voice shaped by a sympathetic smile.

Dan forced a smile and hefted himself up from the couch, reaching for his cane and making his way upstairs. The flashes and the pain behind his eyes were oddly exhausting, and even though they'd only started again around midday it felt like an eternity since. He could only hope that it was a migraine of sorts, like he'd been trying to convince himself. As he got undressed and climbed into bed he made a mental note to go see a doctor if it got any worse. It was really starting to worry him now.

Another flash appeared as he laid down. He squeezed his eyes shut and they disappeared - why this got rid of them he wasn't sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"AGHH!" Dan shrieked.

He was woken up by his own cries of pain. He shot up in bed, the pain so great that it made him feel sick. He'd started to get the hang of knowing what time it was without checking, but now all his senses were dulled and time seemed like a foreign concept. The flashes, which up until now had been momentary bouts of light, were now a constant sensation flooding his vision. Closing his eyes didn't help; they were so bright. When his eyes were open they were white, when they were closed it was red. He clutched at his face as he doubled over in bed, his shouts giving way to tears of anguish which stung his eyes.

"B-Barry..." he sobbed into the sheets.

The door to his room flew open and someone ran in, having heard his screams.

"Oh my god, Dan! What happened?" cried Barry as he rushed to Dan's side.

Dan felt Barry pull him up, trying to figure out what was wrong. He repeated his question a few times, but Dan could hardly hear through the pain, much less speak through it. He grabbed at Barry's shirt for something real to ground him - everything felt so far away.

"Hu..rt... so mu-much," he finally managed to choke out, "He-hel...p."

"Okay, I'm taking you to the hospital. I'll be right back, Dan," Barry told him gently but clearly, rushing from the room to unlock his car first.

He returned to find Dan in pretty much the same condition. He picked up Dan's shirt from the floor that he'd taken off to go to bed and, with some difficulty, managed to get him into it. Jeans would be too much of a challenge so Barry took out a loose pair of joggers and slipped him into them. He didn't bother with socks or shoes. Barry lifted him to his feet, draping Dan's arm over his shoulder and leading him out like a rescue in a war movie. It was almost midnight; Dan had only been in bed for a few hours and Barry had been getting ready to do so himself when he heard him screaming. Luckily Barry was still dressed so he didn't need to bother with that and got Dan into the back of his car as quickly as possible. He left Dan's cane, confident that he wouldn't be able to walk on his own in his current, almost writhing state.

The whole drive Barry's only company was Dan's pained whimpers, and no matter of gentle words could force any more words from him. He didn't even seem to be hearing Barry at this point, so lost in the pain he was in. Barry's vision became blurry with scared tears as he saw and heard his friend like this. Dan had been doing so well - he didn't need this right now.

At this time luckily there were few cars outside the hospital and Barry parked practically right by the emergency entrance. He didn't lock his car, all his attention on Dan as he focused on getting him the help he needed. As soon as he carried him inside the woman at the front desk sprung up from her seat, calling for assistance. Two nurses ran in and Barry passed Dan off to them, following behind hurriedly and telling them all that he knew about what had happened. The nurses told him to go back into the main lobby and wait as they carried Dan into a room, reassuring Barry that they'd take care of everything. Barry didn't want to leave Dan, but he knew that there was nothing else he could do for his friend now. He made his way to the waiting area in the lobby and got a few sympathetic glances from those who had seen him come in. He returned them with a grateful smile as he sat down and pulled up his phone.

He called Arin first; he was Dan's boyfriend and needed to be here. He would call the others later when they knew more.

"Hey Barry. What do you want at this time of night?" Arin greeted in a jokey tone.

"Hey. Listen, Arin, I need you to come to the hospital. Dan- I don't know what's wrong but I found him screaming in pain in his room and I just- I need you here man," Barry blurted quickly, the tears that were collected in his eyes starting to fall.

"What? I'm on my way." And with that Arin hung up, needing to hear no more.

Barry put his phone in his pocket. He clasped his hands in his lap, winding them around each other nervously. His eyes darted around the lobby, trying to find something to distract him. But everything just screamed "hospital" to him and reminded him of why he was here.

He hoped that Dan would be okay.

A/N: please dont be mad at me for putting these boys through this, my fingers just type what they want its not my fault that my fingers are sadists