one.

chenle stood from behind a counter, waiting for a customer to walk into the empty store. he was extremely bored at this time of night and it didn't help that it was only half passed one am.

the chinese boy works night shifts at a convenience store and often finds himself regretting taking the job, as he's mostly always bored and tired.

the boy softly rested his cheek on his palm, not sure what to do to cure his boredom. his eyes traveled around the store, observing it for what would seem like the fiftieth time.

it was pitch black outside and the only things visible to eye were the street lights and illuminated store names. it was raining earlier in the night, but the droplets had subsided after an hour, which had felt like three for the boy.

chenle stood, staring off into space, cheek still laying in his palm. he snapped out of his trance when he heard the bell go off, signalling someone had entered the store.

the boy looked over at the door, expecting another adult in their forties to walk in, asking for random items. what he didn't expect was for a boy who looked to be around his age, stepping into the store. he was wearing black sweatpants and a white adidas sweater.

chenle's heart stopped at the sight of the boy who had just walked in, finding him really cute. his eyes followed the strangers steps in the store as he was looking around. the boy finally stopped at the candy section, looking at his options.

he picked up some hard candies, walking up to the front of the store to pay for the bag. the boy placed the candy on the counter, and chenle scanned it.

"why're you up so late? shouldn't you be sleeping?" the chinese asked curiously. the other looked up and his eyes met with chenle's. the older seemed to notice that the stranger looked a little nervous.

"i-i couldn't sleep," the boy answered quietly, looking down at the floor. chenle nodded, and looked over at the screen above the register. "2.75$ please."

the boy handed over his money, and chenle gave him back the bag of candy. "have a good night," the older said, smiling softly towards the stranger.

the other replied quietly before stepping out of the shop and disappearing into the darkness of the night.

EDITED;
16.08.19