Chapter Twenty-Seven: At the Court Royal

The worse part I hate about New York is their form of winter, especially in the transition of January to February. It snowed mostly everyday- the minimum was five inches, it's cold as hell, you have to layer up to the fullest, and you can't drive anywhere because the road is too icy and your car is blocked in by piles of snow. The subway isn't better, the heater is a catch twenty-two- rather it's extremely hot or it's broken. On top of that, Samuel was being pulled in and out of work because apparently his clients do more shit inside their homes than office or any other place.

However, other than the horrible jaw freezing winter, it was the second week of classes. I'm already up to my elbows with papers and readings, I can already feel myself drowning in late night studying before and after my shift at the bar, and the fact I'll practically be alone in the apartment with Copper until Samuel is able to take a break from work- it would only add more to my stress levels.

"Maybe if you take this weekend off." I spoke in a timid voice while walking into the living room with my set of textbooks and binders for each class. I stuffed them into my backpack so I can get ready for my afternoon classes. Along with being stressed and the mixed schedules, I tried to have Samuel to stay home and relax with me; the weekends are the only time when our day schedule is clear and we don't have to worry about anything.

"I have court on Sunday, and I take the train down to West Virginia on Friday, remember." He stepped out the kitchen, smothering down his tie before putting on his suit jacket and wool black trench coat with the scarf. The company car was going to pick him up, a personal uber.

"Next weekend, then?"

"Can we play this one by ear?" He checked his watch as if my trying to make sure we spend some form of time together was interrupting his way of living. Maybe it was, but hey, a girl gotta be selfish some point and time.

"Okay, I guess." I decided to give up, it was like talking to a brick wall sometimes.

"You sure you don't need me to get you an uber, it's supposed to be a snow storm today."

"When is there never a snow storm?"

He chuckled softly before planting a feather like kiss upon my forehead. "I'll see you tonight. Dinner, eight o'clock at the Court Royal. I'll call you an uber from here at seven o'clock." He kissed me again, this time on the lips.

I groaned softly at the small family event he put together, "Why didn't we just do a wine gathering here? Put Copper in the bed room and pop open a few wine bottles, get classy drunk."

"That would be highly amusing, but I already made the reservations, besides, don't you want to go out and not surround yourself with books and drinks." He smothered down my hair to keep me from going against this entire idea of going out into the cold to have dinner. I should be glad to see the family, it's been awhile since we done that, but during a snow storm?

*****

Class was as boring as any other day since the last time I actually been to a university. I surely don't miss the boring lectures or pop quizzes that follow behind them. I sure as hell don't miss the feeling of isolation, even trying to make friends was harder now then than because I'm older and they're fresh out of high school. Gretchen was a few months away from graduation, which means I'll truly be alone here.

After my two classes, I pushed my way through the freezing hard winds that would lock me inside the house for the night, but because of the dinner Samuel orchestrated- I had no other choice to put on a dress, tights, doll myself up and out on a smile to face the family. Oddly, it didn't feel as joyful than it should, I o be the family- I have happiness and excitement just by thinking of them, but I'm so tired and my mind is filled to the brim already; I can't seem to dig those feelings up.