Chapter Twenty-Five: 24 hours...

Have you ever felt helpless? That vulnerability and weakness you have when something tragic happens? I have two times before with my parents death, the unbelievable thought goes through you mind until you see their body in person or accidentally detect the crime scene photos a day before the closed-casket funeral. I felt that dark pit taking a hold of me; the depression and despair, the anger and rage, the disbelief and confusion. It was a whirlwind of emotions that clouded my judgment, better yet, made me have a emotional breakdown in the middle of the waiting area of the ER.

I couldn't see him... I couldn't hold his hand or even walk in the hall where he's staying. I wasn't family or spouse, not even have some form of tie to him other than Copper and this starting relationship. The only bing I were granted with were the two words from the doctor: "He's fine." No explanation of procedure or even an opportunity to just take a peek of his resting body.

I don't know how long I was there in that waiting room; an hour, five hours, a day or even two days. I couldn't move from that chair nor room, I wanted to have hope that I can see him; to make sure the doctor wasn't pulling my leg to make me stop crying.

"Joy?"

I looked up from staring at the tip of my shoe, it was the only place I can stare at without being labeled as crazy. Peter stood at the entrance of the room, concern coated his gaze, lips pulled into a thin frown, hands stuffed into his pants suit pockets, and tie undone to show he was stressed out as much as me. "How is he?" I managed to say without crying again.

"Stable." He sighed heavily. "He's asleep right at the moment, but he's going to pull through. Why don't I take you home? It's getting late."

"Why can't I see him?"

"Maybe that's not for the best." He whispered, mainly for the fact I spotted Carol and Isaac walking past the waiting room a little while ago. "Come on, of not home then I'll ask Raina to prepare the guest room for you."

"No, I have to go back to Samuel's apartment. Copper, our dog, he's still there."

"You two have a dog?" Confusion went over his face but he pushed that down. "Then bring him along. You can't stay in the apartment until the police has labeled it as safe, besides, Samuel wouldn't want you to be alone right now."

I did not fight on the fact I didn't want to be alone, I just rubbed my face from any tears and lines while climbing out of the chair and strolled my way under Peter's protective brotherly wing. Going to Samuel's apartment was quicker than I thought, being that it's past morning rush hour and everyone is already at work. However, walking into Samuel's apartment took forever.

There were no signs of fighting or even a push here or shove there, it looked normal as of nothing happened. Copper immediately stood by my side as soon as I opened the door, he was mostly likely hungry and had to pee; or maybe he already grew a bond with Samuel and wanted to see him too. It was definitely the first theory when I put a little food in his bowl so I can pack what we needed for the day. Before getting into Peter's car, I put Copper on the leash so her can do his thing- the last thing I want is for him to pee in Peter's car or on their furniture.

*****

They too settled in a townhouse in Staten Island, only difference between his home and the parents were the fact I was welcomed and they didn't put up a facade. When walking into the small family home with Copper in my arms, I was immediately ambushed by two little kids; both eager to have me and Copper as their guest- well, most Copper.

"Hey, give Joy some space." Peter ordered in a soft tone to hide his worry and rage.

The two little munchkins: Caitlyn and Phillip, they were no older than seven and surely were very hyper- so hyper, Copper was eager to get out of my arms and play with them. Once deeper into the home, I set Copper onto his paws and let the kids carefully play with him.