Chapter Five: Consistent Acts of Misery

It was total complete silence after I turned Gerald down, we focused our attention on our family member's performance. After the second song, the lights turned on and they were already packing up. I was three drinks in, quite tipsy and mind cloudy as I tried to keep myself from blurting out the small confession. What can I say? 'I can't date you because I'm a stripper and you'll look down at me because I'm not exposing myself to random men. Oh, by the way, I'm not planning to quit any time soon so you'll have to deal with that.'

That would be a good way to put things, if it weren't for the fact that I didn't want him to look at me like some kind of whore; not that I can blame him for it. Ronny came back to save this awkward state, along with Gerald's little sister. "So," my bass playing cousin was the first to break the ice. "How was it?"

I took in a deep breath and fluttered a smile, "It was amazing, the bass was popping and your singing was awesome."

"Thank you, I'm Gabriela."

"Joy."

The boys had a different way of greetings, a low mumbled hello and a curt nod as if actually introducing themselves or even a firm hand shake would make them any less of a man. But, that's not what I'm truly seeing here, there's a form of protection tension; Ronny being protective of his little cousin, and Gerald being protective over his little sister. A male ritual that I try to understand but also don't give too much of a damn about. They sat at the end of the booths, blocking Gerald and I in- ruining our plans of having a smooth escape.

Ronny was too busy trying to order himself another drink to calm those aftershocks of fear, while Gabriela stared directly at as if seeing our awkward state with a pair of magnifying glasses- in which she did wear glasses that made her entire look even more trendy and perfect. "How do you two know each other?" She finally asked out of curiosity.

"Oh," I was the first to explain. "Work, actually. Well, I was working my waitress job at the country club."

"And I attended the mask event, the one you didn't want to go to. I offered her a ride, but Joy consisted on walking."

"Yeah," I chuckled while drumming my fingers into the plaque of wood. "So, Gabriela, are you tying to pursue in singing or something else?" It's best to change the subject, if I know siblings, she'll try to find out if Gerald and I are dating and that would make the subject even more awkward.

"Well, not exactly. I'm currently in art school right now, painting is my passion."

"That's amazing because if you didn't know already, my dear cousin here also loved painting and sell his work."

Ronny looked up from his phone as if just walking into this conversation, "Oh, yeah. But Gabriela already knew that."

"That's how Ronny and I met actually." Her cheeks burned red while recalling the moment that made her hot and bothered. Apparently they were more than a fan and magicians. "In New Jersey they had an art fest and we technically knocked right into each other, that's how I became the guest singing of their album."

"That's sweet."

"Joy is a dancer." Gerald blurred out with a sense of a impressive smile upon his face as if he never met dancers before, if he only knew what type of dancing I do- that smile would match his disappointing gaze. "Ballet, I believe."

Ronny snorted beside me, but it turned into his clearing his throat when I jabbed him in his side with my elbow. I sighed heavily and painfully nod my head in confirmation, "Kinda ballet, it's like a free-style ballet, more lifting and back flips."

"Wow, do you go to Juilliard?"

I shook my head no, "It's a program that's still getting building itself. But that's not really I want to do as a career choice."