6

"So, Sloane..." Corinna started, leaning forward from her spot under Todd's arm. For best friends, they seemed pretty close. "When did you guys meet?"

"Um, sometime in February," I lied, the story becoming easier each time I told it. "He came to a party at the frat I always go to. I go to USC. I don't know if I've mentioned that."

"You have," she didn't say it in a condescending way, but it sure as hell felt condescending.

"Sorry, I'm nervous. You guys are the first friends of David that I've met, pretty much," I crossed my arms over my chest and giggles with nervousness.

"Don't be nervous. Everyone loves you so far," Todd reassured me, which made me feel much better. "And if they didn't, we'd never tell David. He's been so happy recently, and now we know why."

I felt the pang in my heart. They all thought I had changed David for the better over the course of months when in reality, I had ruined his life just a few days ago. I fake smiled and replied, "That's good. I'm glad he's been happier."

"He really has been," Corinna nodded, taking another sip of her Corona. "I thought he was getting laid but he wouldn't say. I guess now we know."

"Yeah, I guess you do," I giggled, flipping my ponytail over my shoulder.

"Are you sure you don't want a drink?" Todd asked when it got a little awkward.

"Oh, no, I don't... act right when I'm tipsy. Plus I'm a lightweight. It just wouldn't end up good."

I luckily didn't have to explain anymore.

"Hey, can I borrow Sloane for a few minutes?" it was the second time that I had ever been grateful to see David, the first being when I asked him to be my boyfriend for the span of a party. He pulled me to the bed and sat me down. "Okay, uh, we kinda need to sell that we're hooking up in here."

"Why?" I laughed, playing with the gun in my mouth like a middle schooler with a crush.

"Because I told Zane we were about to hook up."

"Oh," my eyes bulged out of my head while David chuckled. "Um, okay. I can do that. Start doing some jumping jacks."

"What?" he frowned, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"So you look out of breath," I explained and then started my own jumping jacks, only finishing ten before I was winded. "Jeez, that's— holy fuck, that's a lot of work."

"You've done twelve," he deadpanned and I used one hand to flick him off while I continued my jumping jacks.

"Okay, I'm done," I finally decided after about ten more. "Can't do that. I'd rather just have sex."

"Won't that... hurt the baby?" David's innocence had me laughing out loud, and I had to cover my mouth to stop the others from hearing us.

"You really aren't the smartest, are you?" I cocked my head and he playfully rolled his eyes, lifting me up and throwing me onto the bed again.

"What else should we do?" he asked as he laid down next to me. "Maybe mess up our hair or—? Oh."

"Or," I giggled as I rolled on top of him, pinning him to the mattress. "I could just give you a hickey. That'd really sell it."

"Why can't I give you a hickey?" he defensively questioned, wiggling under me to try and get away.

"I mean, you can," I tossed my hair over my shoulder and pulled the sleeve of my shirt down to give him some room. "Are you typically a hickey giver though?"