21

"Why is it fucking cold here? It's October," I frowned, unable to pull my jacket any tighter to my body without the risk of showing off my baby bump.

"Are you getting nervous, Sloaneykins?" David teased, poking me in the ribs with his index finger. I jerked away, laughing with a shake of my head.

"I'm not nervous. It's not my parents we're telling, thanks to you," I sent him a playful glare and he rolled his eyes.

"You have a hard time letting things go," he pointed out, opening the trunk of his hometown friend's car and placing both of our bags in. He helped me into the car and shut the door behind me, leaving me alone in the backseat. Our conversation was cut short as I came face to face with one of David's childhood best friends.

"What's up, douchebag?" David laughed, doing a little bro hug. "This is Sloane."

"Hey, I'm Ilya," he stuck out his hand for me to shake from the backseat. "Sorry that this asshole deserted you back there. The ride's just an hour."

"It's fine," I shrugged, stretching across the backseat to make myself more comfortable. "I need my space."

"See? I'm a good boyfriend," David slapped his friend on the arm and the car jerked to the side. I screamed, clutching onto the door handle and my belly for dear life while the two boys up front laughed their ass off.

"Um, baby on board?" I snapped, looking down at my little boy to make sure everything was still inside me. It was, surprisingly. I hadn't popped him out yet. "Be careful. Especially you, David."

"I'm sorry, Sloane," Ilya awkwardly laughed, eyeing David like I was crazy (as if their antics hadn't just put my life in danger less than a minute into the car ride). "I'll chain him up if he tries it again."

"You should," I nodded along, staring out the window at the passing buildings. So this was Chicago. I could only imagine the time I'd be spending here. Would I come with David when he brought our son to visit his parents? Would I trust him alone with a baby? I had no clue.

"So, Sloane, you let David knock you up?" Ilya joked and I playfully rolled my eyes, crossing my arms across my chest. "I mean, did you even try Todd first?"

"Let is a strong word," I laughed, making eye contact with David so he knew I was joking. "We were both a little under the influence."

"Try a lot," David said. "We had finished, like, half a bottle of vodka by the time we actually had sex. She just kept crying about her ex-boyfriend, so I had to shut her up somehow."

"Oh, shut up," I grinned, slapping him lightly on the back of the head. "If I remember correctly, you were begging me to get naked. Begging."

"I think this pregnancy has shot your memory, babe," he retorted with a smug grin. "Maybe we should tell the doctor at our next appointment."

"Please, Sloane. Please take your shirt off," I mocked, only laughing when David's face turned beet red. "What did you say after that? Wasn't it I'll do anything?"

"Hm, no, I don't think it was," he joked, knowing that was exactly how it went down. He turned up the radio to shut me up after that, claiming, "I love this song!" whenever I tried to yell over the music.

The rest of the ride went pretty smoothly. The further we got from the city atmosphere, the more worried I became. Ilya kept a light atmosphere in the car, telling me some embarrassing stories about high school David and his adventures with the opposite sex, but it eventually got a little too dark in the car. David was more worried than I was, so he formulated a plan right as we passed the "Vernon Hills City Limit" sign.

"Okay, Sloane, I think you should stay in the car. You and Ilya can go for a drive or something," he proposed as if I wasn't the most awkward person in the world and he wasn't leaving me alone with a stranger. "I think I should tell them alone, and then you can meet them."

I weighed my options. I could either go under the judgmental eye of David's parents, who would probably think of me as the slut who ruined their son's life, or I could have some mildly awkward conversation with Ilya for twenty minutes.

It wasn't a hard choice.

"I like that idea," I nodded brightly, twisting my fingers together due to my nerves. "God, they're going to hate me, David. This was a mistake."

"What was a mistake? We have to tell them," he said in such a 'duh' tone that I almost rolled my eyes.

"I don't know. Maybe we should've told them over the phone or something," I suggested. "So they couldn't kill me."

"Well, it's too late," David said just as a community of townhouses came into view. "We're already here."

"Oh, God," I had to take in a few deep breaths to protect my mental health.

"It's going to be okay, babe," David reassured me, turning around to face me just as Ilya parked the car. "They won't be mean to you. That's why I'm going in first. If they're mad, it'll give them some time to calm down. I'll make sure of it, okay?"

I didn't answer.

"Do you trust me, Sloane?" he asked, and for a second, I didn't know the answer.

Everyone I ever trusted had betrayed me in one way or another. Coach Tauber, who I thought loved and respected me, only wanted to get into my pants. My best friends, the rest of the soccer team, treated me like shit for trying to ruin our coach's life for my own agenda. My parents, who said they would always be there for me, didn't believe me when I told them. My boyfriend told me he loved me and did everything he could to prove that statement wrong. Did I really need to trust David? Trust had never brought me anything good.

With a deep breath, I finally sighed, "Yes. I trust you."

"Good," he softly smiled at me as he opened the door and got out of the car, bending down to say, "Just drive around until I call one of you. Wish me luck!"

this was combined with her actually meeting the parents and it was literally like a 2500 word chapter so i just made them two kind of short chapters lol :)))

i have the next three chapters of the book written already (bc i dont write chronologically, some days ill want to work on one chapter and some days ill want to work on another) and let me just say sorry in advance for chapter 23 :) its possibly a little evil

anyways vote and comment if u enjoy!!! do u think davids parents will like and accept sloane?? lmk!! xoxo abby