Minilan- That Dragon Cancer Parts 1-4

Start from the beginning

There was a minute of silence as I took everything in. I was going to lose my legs because of cancer. I had cancer. That dreaded word. That dragon. That dragon cancer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two days later. Two days spent lying in a hospital bed, reflecting about everything I could have done. I was going to loose my legs and there was nothing I could do about it anymore. I had stopped fighting. I had stopped trying.

Simon had refused to leave my hospital room, sleeping on a chair beside my bed each night and talking to me non-stop during the day to keep me distracted. It was nice, but I couldn't help but go back to what could have been.

"Lachlan?" I lifted my eyelids gingerly. I didn't want to think. "Come on, you've gotta wake up. The doctors here to talk to you." I just closed my eyes again.

Vikk piped up from his chair. It was visiting hours again and both Vikk and Josh were there. JJ came on the alternate days, switching with the other two. Simon stayed, and Vikk came on most days switching to go with JJ on occasion.

"The doctors don't need to keep coming in and repeating everything Si." He shrugged. It was true, they kept coming and going and repeating the same things over and over to me, telling me how this reaction was normal. I didn't care.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Come on Lachlan, you can't do this all day." I was sitting with my head in my hands, a blanket over my body and tears streaming down my face. It was the day.

It didn't matter to me that I was in so much pain that I couldn't sleep, my legs flaring in pain every time I tried to move, it didn't matter to me that I would die if they didn't amputate my legs. I didn't want it to happen, no matter what anyone said.

Simon wrapped his arm around my shoulders, bringing my face into his neck. He whispered into my ear, trying desperately not to jostle me more than he had to, as he knew that any movement caused me immense pain.

"It's going to be okay Lachlan." I shook my head.

"You can't keep telling me that, it's not true." He squeezed me, tightly.

"It is going to be okay. Look at me." He put his finger under my chin, forcing me to look at him. "No matter what happens, everything is going to be okay. I will still love you, and you will still be here."

I closed my eyes.

"You will still be able to do everything you have even after this, it won't matter. We'll help you through everything, okay." He pushed my hair back, allowing me to cling to him. I was terrified and he knew it, so being able to feel his warmth around me was comforting and got my thoughts away from what would happen in the next few hours.

I hadn't been allowed to eat or drink anything since the night before and the surgery was scheduled for 1 in the afternoon, and because it was only 10am, I still had a few hours to wait before my life changed forever, again.

My stomach growled and Simon laughed, having heard it.

"You hungry?" I nodded miserably.

"Just... just don't, please. I don't want to hear it." He squeezed my hand again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

An hour passed. Then another. And another. And before I knew it, the doctor was coming in and telling me that it was time.

I cried. I wasn't ashamed to say it, but I cried as Simon held me. Vikk curled up on the bed beside me and wiped the tears from my eyes, one of his hands resting on my chest. Simon was on my other side, one hand on my hip and the other by my head.