C H A P T E R 56

Waking up, I felt more energised than usual, like I was ready to make this day great no matter what. It was an amazing feeling; motivation fulfilled my mind and I was determined to make today great. 

The bright sun lit up my room and the air felt clearer, it was unusual and unfamiliar. However, I'm not complaining. Might as well enjoy it before I'm going to have to face Jake and Payton as that won't be such a bucket of fun.

Aunt Anna and I are going to meet at Shake Shake in the city mall. I'm excited, anxious and most of all terrified. I have no clue what to expect: if she'll be nice and supportive or just like my mother, stubborn and distracted.

Either way, it'll be great to catch up with her, it's long overdue since my mother never really introduced us to her family, or than grandma, of course. I never really understood why, but I never really felt the need to ask, but there has to be a reason why.

"Bella," Mrs Drake called from my doorway.

"Yeah?"

"Your mum called," she explained, siping some tea she was holding.

"My mum? Why?" I quickly asked, rising from my seat immediately.

"She said she wants to talk to you," she casually replied.

"Is she on the phone?" I questioned.

"The home phone, yes. She's on hold. Are you going to speak to her?" He wondered.

"I'm sure," I announced as she disappeared down the hallway.

Why in the tarnation would my mother be calling me? One, she kicked me out and told me to never come back if I step out the house; two, she hasn't died to reach out to me since then;and three, how did she know I was at the Drake's?

Ignoring my thoughts, I trotted down the long hallway to the kitchen where Seamus was eating a bowl of cereal. He pointed to the phone that was of the counter faced down. 

"Hello? I spoke in almost a whisper.

"Isabella?" My mothers voice asked.

"This is she," I replied.

"Just wanted to check in and see how you were doing."

"May I ask why?" I questioned, tapping my foot.

"Believe it or not, I'm still your mother. I'm glad that you had some common sense and stayed with a friend," she praised.

"I'm staying with Luce until I can get my own place," I argued.

"How's Jake?" She wondered, changing the subject. My heart pinged for a second.

"He's fine, we're fine," I lied, rubbing my temples.

"That's not what I heard," she mumbled.

"And what might you have heard?" I started.

"Jake didn't invite you for dinner, but invited Payton instead," she responded.

"And where did you hear this?"

"Payton," she slowly replied.

"And you believed her?" I laughed to myself a little.

"Well yeah, we had a little chat when we ran into each other at the supermarket," she explained. "She's a lovely young lady, I have no idea why you two don't get along,"she sighed.

"If you like her so much then invite her to live with you now that you will have plenty of room in the house now hat indigo your kids is gone and the other is leaving," I snapped, almost throwing the phone back into its slot.