Part 42: exit

The boy opened the door — and for a moment time froze. The girl. Standing here at the door of his house. Face flushed in the cold, dark hair messy, eyes wide.

She said a small Hey.

He answered, dazed Hey.

And then, finding himself again, he managed to ask what she was doing here just before his mom sidled up to the doorway, hands on hips.

Who's this? the mom demanded, staring at the girl with blank eyes You have money on you?

The girl stared back, unsure how to answer. The boy turned to his mom and his eyes were black as coals.

Go away he told his mom, but she ignored him, insisting in the girl's face that she would pay her back. The boy shouted Go away!

The mom whirled around and her hand whipped across his cheek. He fell back, eyes stunned.

The girl's eyes widened Leave him alone!

The mom growled at the boy, eyes daggers Don't give me orders like that. I raised you from blood and sweat and tears.

She turned and shoved the girl over without even glance Out of my way, bitch.  The girl fell back onto the floor, shocked.  The boy hurried to her on his knees.  He stood up and glared at his mom's back as she headed down the driveway.

I hate you! he shouted at her I wish you had died instead of Dad!

The mom stopped walking.  Her whole body stilled over, frozen like stone.  The boy's expression shifted as he watched his mom slowly look over her shoulder at him.  And the look she gave him was overwhelmed with a sadness he hadn't seen since the day he died.

The look lasted for just a minute before she turned and kept walking.  Walked down the sidewalk and disappeared around a corner.

The girl's hands shook, heartbeat still rapid from what's had just happened. 

The boy, unsure what had happened, suddenly remembered the girl and crouched over.

You okay? he asked her.  She nodded, and he sighed, falling onto his butt next to her Gosh ... I'm sorry.

It's okay the girl whispered.

You shouldn't have come he said There's a reason I never wanted you over here. 

The girl's next words silenced him.