Part 4: phone-call

A week later, the boy and girl were texting daily. A hundred messages a day. They talked about everything. Each other. Their schools. Great books and movies. Sunglasses. Although the boy seemed more intent on asking questions about her rather than answering questions on himself.

At the end of one week, they were in the middle of messaging when the boy called her.

The girl stared at her screen that kept ringing, shocked. She answered the phone, and said a small Hello?

They started talking. She heard his voice, thick and vaguely familiar. They talked for an hour.

At the end of that hour, she asked why he had called. He said he wanted to hear her laugh.

And he did.

When it was time for both of them to go, he asked her if she needed help sunglass shopping.

She paused, unsure what he meant.

He said maybe he could help her pick something cute. Maybe they could go to the mall together, catch a movie at 3:00, shop for sunglasses at 5:00. Have dinner soon after.

The girl was grinning as she replied slowly What would we watch?

He answered Anything you like.

She said What would we eat?

He said Mexican.

She laughed. And after another few minutes of talk, the girl's face flushed with light, she answered his offer with a simple Yes.