Part 40: help

The girl was running.  She didn't know where until she saw the bus stop.  She rushed forward as a bus came rolling, but it wasn't hers.

Her heartbeat trampled on her lungs so that it was hard to breathe.  She looked around for help.

Help me, please! She shouted, and the people around her turned to stare.  People who were in routine.  I need to get somewhere!

More staring.

I need ... to get to Shire Road! She called again, and she knew she looked hysterical.  She looked stupid and was disturbing everybody — she knew.  But what did it matter? In that moment, nothing did.

She said Someone help me before I lose my nerve.

A shout behind her caught her attention.  Her name.  She turned around, eyes searching.  They stopped short when they saw him — the boy's friend.  The one from the carnival.

The one who had ruined it all.

He leaned against a beat up car, and came walking towards her when he'd caught her attention.  He was her age; he couldn't have a driver's licence.

The friend asked Where do you need to go?

Shire Road she answered House ... 20?

22 he replied, and she realised that he knew where she was going.  He'd been there before.  You've never been to his house?

No, he — never let me visit she admitted.

The friend nodded and, remembering she needed a ride, offered one I could take you there.

The girl stared Really?

His only reply was Get in.