Part 24: lies

The boy and the girl have been dating for three months now. The girl's main concern was what her friend feared: she didn't know anything about him.

Tell me something she insisted one day. School had just ended, and they were standing at the bus stop, just across the road from a fast food restaurant.

The boy asked what she meant, and she ushered for them to sit down on a bench. They did.

She replied You don't tell me anything about yourself. Tell me about your school. Tell me about your mom.

His mom.

The boy's lips drew into a bitter smirk. He concealed it with a shrug I mean, there's nothing to say.

That can't be true she said Come on. Tell me about your friends.

My best friend lives in Japan he offered.

The girl nodded, accepting it Alright, and what about him?

The boy continued His name is Alfie. He's mixed. We haven't talked in a while.

The girl frowned, wondering why he would tell her about this Okay ... continue.

No — see, this is dumb. You're bored. Let's just go in the boy moved to stand up but she grabbed his arm, insisting loudly that she wasn't bored, just curious.

I don't have any friends he said. To that the girl fell silent. She was sure this was a lie, but what could be so bad to make him lie?

She said You're lying to me. He shrugged, like it didn't matter. Something inside the girl broke.

The boy went on, suggesting they were both in weird moods, they were hungry, it was Thursday, and let's just eat something so they feel better.

As they walked towards the restaurant, the girl kept quiet. She said nothing to him for the rest of the night.