-Eleven-

10 April 2017, Monday

------

Last night, I asked Diana to meet at Crestbridge Café after her cheerleading practice. I didn't ask Jon along. I felt bad, like I was trying to get close to Diana behind his back or something. And it wasn't as if we were going to talk about anything personal; Jon knew about my leg already. But I consoled myself, I wasn't asking Diana out on a date or for any selfish romantic purposes, I only wanted to help her. And after my job was done, I would disappear from her life. It was that easy.

"Hey Xavier, a penny for your thoughts," Diana tapped me on the shoulder. I didn't see her coming. "Oh my, what happened to you? Are you okay?" she winced when she saw me on my crutches.

People always assumed that I had a broken leg or some temporary injury when I used my crutches with my prosthesis on. They didn't know that I couldn't get better, that my leg could never grow back.

"I'll tell you after we make our order," I kept her in suspense. I mean it wasn't a story short enough for me to condense into a sentence or something.

"Are you trying to be mysterious? Because it isn't working," she teased. "Here, I'll get the door."

"It's alright Diana, ladies first," I crutched over to the door in a second and held it open, the cuff of my crutch clinging off my forearm.

"Wow, you've got skills," Diana nodded in approval and entered the café with me tailing in behind her.

We walked over to a tiny circular table near the glass window. That was my favourite spot in the café to hang out; I loved watching strangers going about with their lives from the window. Happy and naïve children, antsy and rebellious teenagers, burnt out and jaded working adults. Only this time I wasn't here to watch the passers-by. I had an important mission.

"What are you getting?" I questioned as she stared long and hard at the menu.

She grinned,  "What are you getting?" she threw the question back at me.

I raised an eyebrow. "I asked you first."

"Hmmmm, tell me your recommendation, I'll get the same if it sounds convincing enough," she challenged.

"Alright, I'm a serious food critic myself so you'll have to take me seriously. I'm getting the Matcha Frappuccino with Oreo toppings. Because I like the taste of coffee, the bitterness of matcha, and the Oreos, for crunchiness. Are you convinced Madame?" I smirked.

She thought for a moment and grinned. "Yes Chef, I'll take the same."

If only I could convince her that easily to change her terrible fate.

"I'll go get our orders..." Diana started but I had already gotten off my seat.

I smiled. "I'll get it."

I returned shortly, a tray in hand with two Frappucinos, crutching with one arm. Diana saw me approaching and scrambled to help me unload the tray.

"Wow X, you're really good on crutches. Do you get that much practice from rejecting others' help all the time?" she mocked.

"Yeah, I guess so, partly," I chuckled. Then I hesitated. "But it's mainly because I want to be independent."

Diana nodded and proceeded to sip on her Matcha Frappucino.

"So, you haven't told me why you're on crutches today," she looked up from her drink.