Prologue

"Wait! I want you to take me to the Homecoming Dance!" her fingers slipped onto and curled around his wrist as he turned to walk away.

She had to do something. She had to change his mind. She didn't know if her heart could handle losing him another time.

He stopped abruptly, turning to face her. Her heart stopped. He made no attempt to return her smile, even though her cheek muscles ached  from her facade of a false cheerfulness. His chin was set and his lips were twisted into a disdainful frown; she realised that he looked really menacing up close, at least more menacing that she had imagined. Was she out of her mind? Why was she forcing herself on the notorious gangster in Crestbridge High?

"I've already told you, I don't dance," he spat, his eyebrows drawn into a deep furrow.

"What do you mean? You can always learn, and I will teach you..."

"I repeat, I don't dance," he cut her off coldly, running a hand through his dark hair.

"But why? Everybody dances! You can dance anywhere! I dance in the kitchen, in my bedroom, even in the toilet..."

He lifted a palm gesturing for her to stop. Without hesitation, he scrunched up his left trouser leg, revealing a long metal rod where his left calf should have been.

"I don't dance," he announced almost as a finale.

She was taken aback. She didn't know how to respond. So she simply stood still as he walked off, his limp becoming more apparent than ever to her now.