Chapter 3:"No way in hell I'm leaving my babies"

Saturday seemed to take ages to come by; Wednesday consisted of a lot of packing, Thursday consisted of even more packing and Friday, well that's the worst part, I felt like driving a stake through my chest, I was just hours away from leaving this place!

We were supposed to be ready at 3AM next morning because our flight was at 6AM. The excitement within me was eating me up bit by bit; I didn't know what I was supposed to do to make the time pass, but then an idea came to me!

Why not watch The Flash? It's my favorite TV show of all time!

I spent the whole day watching it. I finished the fifteenth episode and decided to stop there. I switched off my laptop and paraded around the house in search of anything I was forgetting to pack and then skimmed through my drawers and closet. I zipped up my suitcases and packed all my electronics in the backpack I was going to carry during the journey. I also packed some books I was going to read.

There was no way in hell I was leaving my babies!

   "Francesca! You need to eat before we leave, get to the kitchen!" Mum yelled to me from across the hall. The apartment we've lived in for the past seven years is quite small; due to my mother's salary, we weren't able to pay the rent for the house we used to live in when my father was here, so the landlord kicked us out and we had to make other arrangements. But, thankfully, no more cramped up apartment anymore! With my mother's new job, we'll be able to pay for any house we please.

I know it sounds like I just complain all the time and offer no help whatsoever, but on the contrary, I do; I got a job at an ice cream parlor to be able to help my mother, it's the least I can do after all she has done for me. A few days ago, mum told me I don't need to get a job when we move to Italy because our financial situation will be far better. As a matter of fact, she was quite hesitant the day I told her I applied for a job at "Ivy's ice cream parlor" a few years ago.

I went to the kitchen to grab something to eat. I greeted Mum and asked her if she was done packing and she said she finished ages ago; and I thought I was the excited one!

Living in Texas hasn't been easy for her either; she has been having trouble around the neighborhood; Mrs. Cramer, Louisa's mum, and Mrs. Monroe, our other neighbor, have been terrible to her, they always boast about their Porsche Cayenne and Range Rover, and they make fun of mum's old Mercedes Benz. They also make fun of her ragged clothes!

Seems to me they have nothing better to do than waste their husbands' money and boast about materialistic things they get.

And on top of that, they never miss a chance to tell her she was never good enough for Francesco which is why he probably left her. 

Aunt Maria came by at around 2:30AM with a taxi ready for us. She and mum tried to keep straight faces but they just burst into tears and I later followed; Aunt Maria has been with us through thick and thin, she is very supportive and she helped us get over my father leaving, she is truly an awesome person! I wish she was able to come with us, but she has a really good job and her whole life is here!

I pulled away and let the two sisters have a moment. They started talking in their native language, which was really awkward for me since I don't know how to speak Italian, but I've made it my goal to learn it.

I could understand a few words they were saying: Aunt Maria was telling mum to greet their parents for her and she said she was going to miss her, mum just sobbed into her shoulder. She really appreciates all Aunt Maria was doing for us. Aunt Maria then pulled away and embraced me into her arms; Mum went to put our luggage in the taxi trunk with the help of the chauffeur.

"I'm going to miss you, Aunt Maria," I tried to control myself, but failed and started crying even more, "You've done so much for us and I just want you to know that mum and I appreciate it. I love you, take care of yourself."

"I love you too, sweetheart. Don't worry, Fran, this isn't goodbye. We'll see each other soon. I can't wait for you to meet your grandparents; they are very kindhearted people. You'll fit right in!" She kissed my cheek and pulled away. She bid me goodbye and went to help my mum with the luggage.

"Come on, Fran, we need to go," Mum called to me from the taxi.

"Just a second, Mama! I need to go get Fluffy." I replied and went inside to fetch my dog.

As I went to get Fluffy from my bedroom, I saw a picture of my mother and me on my bedside table. I grabbed it and looked at it before placing it in my backpack; it was a picture from my thirteenth birthday and I had cake all over my face, mum had just pushed my face into the birthday cake she was holding. We laughed at the camera as Aunt Maria took the picture. It was a good day!

I scooped Fluffy into my arms and went outside. I placed him into the taxi and hopped in after him. As the chauffeur started driving, Mum and I looked out the window and waved at Aunt Maria, who blew us a kiss in return.

I hugged mum tightly as she caressed my long, black hair. I then fell asleep on her shoulder as Fluffy placed his head on my lap. Just before the darkness enclosed me, I heard her whisper "To a new beginning". I smiled as I closed my heavy eyelids and went to sleep.

~•~
Hey guys! Hope you liked the chapter! Things will start getting good in the upcoming chapters. Photo of Fluffy the fluffy Chow Chow above!

Until next time! Don't forget to

Vote
Comment
Follow

Sincerely,
V