182 10 0

"McNamara Railway, really?"

"It's my favorite place to be," I confessed as I kicked a stone which hit a mountain of garbage that started to move.

Leland recoiled in disgust and wrinkled his nose, "How's this your favourite place in this entire town?"

I scold him, "I thought we were past the part where you're an absolute asshole to me."

He frowned, "Hey, I didn't even mean that in a disrespectful way. It's interested is all."

"Well, your tone was very condescending. I just wanted to come here because I'm literally traumatized for my entire life." I laughed uncomfortably and my eyes started to tear up again.

"Are you about to cry right now?" Leland shifted awkwardly as he glanced at me wearily. "Because I'm not very good with consoling people."

"Just shut up and let me have a panic attack on my own. If you want to leave, go ahead. I don't even care." I grumbled.

"No, I'm staying. I'll be nicer. I'm sorry." he uttered as he pulled me away from the garbage in front of us that was still moving.

It's just terrible thinking about all that's happened tonight. From the fight with Levi and Leland, to his father assaulting me. I was confident that being here would help me in some way. Maybe I shouldn't have given Leland so much access to myself and my secret hideout in a single evening.

To me, this place felt more than just a defunct railroad station. It was tranquil and quiet. I refer to it as the land of the forgotten, a metaphorical meaning for people who've had a hard time finding love.

Leland pursed his lips. He was pondering over what he should've said next and how to say it. "I'm truly sorry for putting your life in danger. I hate him more than ever right now. But for now, tell me what about this place attracts you."

"You don't have to pretend to care about me Leland-"

"No, love, please. I want you to tell me," he grabbed my hands and pulled me towards to him. "Of course I care about you Drea. You're the only one I care about more than life itself. Besides my sister and my mother."

My heart raced in my chest and small smile appeared on my face. I bit the insides of my cheeks to prevent myself from blushing. There was clearly something about him that had me so hooked. I could barely control myself around him. I took a deep breath in so I could. find my words.

"So I've been coming here since my lovely ex boyfriend and first love broke my heart," I started to say and he followed me around while I showed him around. It wasn't much to the naked eye, but if you really looked and took the time, you could see the beauty in the madness, in the mess. "This place is so symbolic. Look at it Lee; it's disgusting. It's littered with trash and there's obscene graffiti everywhere you turn and I'm pretty sure there's a dead rat family in the corner. But my point is that it's hard to imagine this abandoned, imperfect and unlovable station ever having any people in it or being appreciated. But I appreciate it; it's gotten me through the hardest nights and most challenging days. I almost overlook it's appearance."

Leland's eyes sparkled in the moonlight as he hung on every word I spoke. He finally says, "That's actually such a wonderfully analogy, Tulip. I'm so proud of you for overcoming this breakup and all the other things that have been bothering you." He touched my upper arm, sending shivers throughout my entire nervous system and causing a heat to raise in my cheeks. I peered down at my fingers, "Thanks, Lee. I haven't heard those words in a while; 'I'm proud.'"

"Well I'll say it again. I'm very proud of you," he cupped my cheek and caressed my lips with his thumb. I drew him near me by tugging at his graphic t-shirt and inclined my face toward his. Then I felt my lips pressing against his and a fire trembled inside me. A fire I wanted to set free and the only person who could do that for me was him. Leland Romero. And he knew that as he wrapped his arms around my legs and lifted me up.

He took this as a moment to gently bite my lip and I drew a breath in with surprise, tugging at his hair gently in response. He groaned, but I wasn't sure if it was because he was truly enjoying himself or if I pulled a little too hair. So I stopped, but he protested, "Don't stop, baby. It drives me crazy when you do that."

Instead of going back in for the second round, while my heart thumped through my ears, I took this moment to appreciate his godly facial features. The way his eyes always seem darker than night itself when we were at school and everywhere else. But tonight, in the moonlight, they were the color of smoke. His brows were thick and darker than his soul, and they were almost like caterpillars.

"You're so pretty," I couldn't help the words from leaving my mouth.

He beamed a full smile for the first time I've ever met him. A beauteous grin that I wish I could capture. He laughed a little when he whispered, "That's cute, because I think you're pretty."

"Thank you," My heart did a somersault in my chest.

Leland set me down. He strutted toward the edge of the platform where he beckons me. He jumped down to the tracks and helped me climb down as well. My brows were creased in concern when Leland laid on the tracks, "What are you doing?"

Nonchalantly, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world, Leland mentions, "I've always wanted to scream on the tracks as a train speeds past above me. But seeing as no train has been on these tracks in almost 4 years, I can't have half my wish."

"Lee, are you insane? Please, stand up. There are like millions of germs growing on you right now!"

He pouts, "Don't ruin my moment." I groaned in resignation and laid down beside him, my head on his chest. We peered up at the velvety sky above us illuminated by the stars. "It's incredible how stunning the sky still appears even when we're surrounded by all this junk," Leland acknowledged, and I concurred in agreement. I was too afraid to say anything and risk having the moment being ruined.

His warm, but firm hand extended and our fingers interlaced, forming a connection that seemed almost electric. We studied each other's faces, our eyes colliding and locking in a silent exchange of unspoken trust and affection. I'd never so close to anybody in my life and I didn't think I ever wanted to if it wasn't with Leland. For a little when we seemed to be lost in our own world, completely unaware of anything else around us.

Until Leland got up and said, "Let's go home."