Chapter 25 - Losing control

Start from the beginning

"I know you want everything to be perfect Axel. So do I. But if we run ourselves to the ground before the event even starts, we're more likely to make mistakes."

Axel grudgingly nodded as he stood up and they all left the meeting room together.

Olena hurried to get her bag from her office and immediately left the office. Hopefully the traffic won't be so bad at this hour.

It was almost 7pm when she got home and Levi excitedly greeted her at the door.

"Mommy! You're home early!"

Olena returned his tight hug and kissed him on the cheek. Then she pulled Levi over to the sofa and placed him on her lap.

"Yes baby, because mommy misses you. Did Daddy tell you you're going to Grandpa's tomorrow?"

"Really? Yay! Are you coming too, mommy?"

"Sorry baby, mommy can't go with you. Mommy still has work because it's only Thursday tomorrow. Thursday and Friday are office days, remember?"

Levi's face fell and Olena felt guilt tugging at her heart again.

"But I'll come pick you up on Saturday and then we'll go to the mall, okay?"

After hearing her promise, Levi instantly smiled and wiggled excitedly on her lap.

"How many days until Saturday mommy?"

"That's three days away baby. You stay with grandpa and grandma for two days then mommy will come get you on the third day," Olena answered with a smile.

Levi jumped off her lap and went running to the bedroom.

"Daddy! Daddy! Mommy is taking me to the mall on Saturday!" Olena heard him shouting as he ran.

She headed to Levi's bedroom and took out his overnight bag. Better get this done before she relaxed, otherwise she just might fall asleep while sitting down somewhere.

As she picked out clothes from Levi's closet, she heard a mesage notification on her phone.

Olena quickly fished her phone from her bag, expecting a message from either Axel or Rachel about their event.

She was not prepared to see Patrick's name pop out on her screen.

"I heard there was a party on Friday. Am I invited?"

"Yes, didn't Haidee tell you? I called and invited your company a month ago," Olena quickly messaged back.

"She probably forgot. Well, I'm going to attend, is that okay?"

"Sure, of course! The party is for all our business partners."

"Okay, see you then."

--------------

Patrick put down his phone and sighed.

It was useless to fight with himself over this, he had learned that over these past couple of months.

Despite his good intentions, he can't stay away from Olena. No wonder Haidee kept the party a secret from him.

If he hadn't run into Axel in the gym that night, he probably wouldn't have known at all.

He didn't blame Haidee though. If he were in her place, he would have done the same.

Even his initial reaction was to skip the party, and he made up excuses to Axel for why he couldn't come when they were talking earlier.

But it was like his fingers had a mind of their own. Before he knew what he was doing, he had messaged Olena and invited himself to the party.

The thought of seeing her again had eroded all the defenses he had built around himself.

He missed her so damn much.

Patrick harshly rubbed his hand over his face and let out a tortured breath.

He knew he should stay away but the more he tried, the more he wanted to be with her.

At first he thought it was the thrill of the forbidden that drew him in. But now he was not so sure anymore.

Because the pain that he feels whenever he thinks of Olena and their impossible situation was more real than anything he had ever felt in his life.

And he didn't know how much longer he could hold it in.