Chapter Five

We are a bit outside from Stockholm. We have said nothing to each other, it's all quiet. I'll look at him but he is far too concerned to look at the road. I feel I must say something. But what? Maybe he's mad at me because I said no.

- "So, you grew up in Stockholm, are you Swedish?" I ask and keep my eyes on him.

- "My mother is Swedish, she got a job here when I was ten years old but we moved back to London when I was thirteen." he answers, but he still dosen't look at me.

- "Well, I guess you understand Swedish?" I say. Oh, I try to make him look stupid. That's was an insult.

- "Yes, I came to my family when I was 3 years old and they spoke Swedish, so I understand the language, but I'd rather not talk Swedish." What? Is he adopted? I didn't know? Eh, why haven't he said anything. Or he just did.

- "You were adopted?" I hear myself say, and I don't understand that the words fall out of my mouth. He looks at me and his jaw gets tighten.

- "Sort of. It's not something I talk about, and not when I just met someone"he says. Oh, touchy subject. Maybe it's better that I'm quiet. 

- "How are you?" He asks, watching me with a quick look.

- "Good," I say and smile, I have to try to cheer up the mood, it was probably way too personally and seriously.

- "What are you studying?" I hear Nicholas say. Oh, finally! Something normal to talk about.

- "Law with focus on Human Rights" I respond and look at him.

- "Well, human dignity, something you care about?" He  asks Was it more a question or an answer to his question.

- "Yes, otherwise I would probably have chosen something more towards that subject.", I say. He laughs. What? Was it funny, it's true. I think he want to get a revenge. I asked him a very, or too personal question, it is his turn now.

- "So the job you are talking about, what are you doing?" He asks. Wow, is he really that curious about me.

- "I work extra as a salesman in a phone store," I reply.  He says nothing. I bet that he begins to wonder who is the chick he's talking to. Compared to him, I'm useless. We are two completely different people.

- "Do you like to work as a salesman?" he asks.

- "It's fun for an extra income" I say. He nods.

- "You work in town?" He asks and looks at me for once. I nod. "Good" he says.

My phone is ringing. Oh no. I answer. "Gabriella! How are you?" Says a voice that sounds like my mother. "Hi Mom!", I say and look at Nicholas, but he says nothing, nothing could tell what he really is feeling or thinking. "Everything is good, I'm on my way home now" I say. "Yes, Felicia called me and ask if I had heard anything." my mother tells me. Oh, my poor mother! But she knows that I can take care of myself or at least a sexy british businessman does, but mothers will always be mothers. "It's just a bump on my head. I'm on my way home."  I say. "Okay, see you later at home, take care of you!" She says, "You too, bye mom". We both hang up. "Sorry," I say and look at Nicholas.

- "Why are you keeping apologize for? I think your mother and many more than I have every right in the world to know how you feel, without you're feeling sorry " He says. My heart melts, please, what is he doing. I giggle a little bit, I can't help it anymore. He looks immediately at me. I stop because I get scared. "No, please don't stop!" He says. "Sorry," he continues. From being such a humble person to almost  a vulnerable stiff businessman. He corrects his watch again on the right wrist. Oh, his fingers. NO! Gabriella QUIT. But his fingers, just his fingers is hot. Okay, I blame the hit on my head as to why I am like this in his presence.

"Here we are" says Nicholas after I showed him where I live."Do you still live at home?" He asks and his big eyes just looking at me. We are sitting in the car parked outside my house.

- "Yes, unfortunately," I reply, what should I say. He nods. "Thank you so much for everything, I really appreciate it and sorry again" I say and take off my belt. I'll look at him and he at me. I watch his lips, oh, I just want to lean forward and kiss those lips but I turn around quickly and get out of the car, he does the same. When he comes around the car as he looks at me. "Thanks Nicholas," I say and look up at him. His looking at me, but he says nothing. His hand touches my cheek

- "Thank you, Gabriella for this unforgettable day" he says. We are just standing there looking into others  eyes. He corrects himself and become the businessman he really is. "Bye Gabriella" he says and walks toward the car. Huh? What happened now? Is he like this? I get a stomach ache and waving to him and I walk to my parents' house. There you go, Gabriella. World's chance and you blew it. Damn it.