Chapter 10: Roses

"Sorry, we can't hang out again." Lauren told me with an apologetic smile.

"Something came up for this Friday, can we change our plans?" Lauren asked nervously.

"I promise none of this is on purpose," Lauren pressed with a worried look, "But I can't make it again."

I sat on my couch at home, a glass of wine in my hand as I stared at the TV screen. Even with the mindless chatter the TV was giving off, I couldn't help but feel as if my place was way too quiet for comfort. It probably had something to do with the fact that I was alone for another Friday.

Again.

I took a sip out of my glass and pushed the thoughts out of my head. I promised myself that I would try to have fun tonight even if it was alone. There was no way to understand how I used to find Friday nights alone satisfying, but ever since Lauren literally crashed into my life, nights like this left me completely bored and empty.

I should have caught on way sooner that this girl has taken over my life. Now here I was, looking pathetic alone. It just... sucked.

I sighed, glancing down at the drink in my hand with a small frown. It was my first one, had been for the past 30 minutes. The more I drank it, the more I felt like I'd rather toss the whole bottle out. It didn't taste right, not at all.

"For fucks sake," I mumbled before leaning forward and placing the glass on the table in front of me, "I need to get out of this fucking house."

Just then, my phone rang. I half hoped it was Lauren, but when I glanced at my phone I saw it was work. Sighing, I slid my thumb across the screen to answer, "Hello?"

"Hey Camila, it's Ally. We are a person short tomorrow," One of my mangers explained, "Want to stop by and take a shift?"

If it were any other Friday with Lauren around, I would have declined because I would have been plastered right about this time and woke up with a killer hang over. Attempting not to sound to bummed, I sighed out, "Yeah sure. I can take a shift."

"Thanks a bunch. This helps us out a lot." Ally said with a grateful tone, "8 o'clock sound fine?"

"Yeah," I answered, seeing it was ten at night, "Should be fine."

"Great! See you then."

I told her to have a good night before hanging up and tossing my phone across the couch. Without even thinking I stood up from my seat, turned off the TV with the remote, and snatched the freaking wine glass from the table. I dumped the rest of it down the drain before leaving the empty bottle on the counter beside the sink.

Slapping the light off, I walked to bed completely in the dark. I wasn't depressed or sad. It was more like...

I was frustrated. It seemed like I was stuck on a girl who was slowly starting to ditch me.

X

"Let me get this straight," Dinah leaned forward in her chair, "This girl you have been crazy about for months now is slowly starting to ghost on you?"

I sat at my desk, drumming my fingers against it, as I stayed quiet for a moment. It was always hard to get things past Dinah. I swear I was playing like I wasn't upset perfectly, but out of nowhere she demanded I tell her what was wrong with me. It was times like these that I hated how upfront and real she was, but that's the reason why we're best friends. We didn't hide anything from each other. So after a lot of pestering on her end, I told her the truth.

Which brought us here.

"Well," I struggled, shrugging as I tried brush it all off, "Yeah, it seems like it. I mean people have plans... but she's ditched me for like three weeks straight now."