Late Night Ride (Jyrus Month Special)

Cyrus' POV
-2018-
I stare through the window of my old and rickety house. Today's buildings are so large. The plants seem to have more vibrant colors. But I guess the biggest thing I've noticed is how much cleaner everything seems. My my, how times have changed.

Tyler my grandchild, runs into the room, holding a box that vaguely remember. He's only about 10, so he's full of energy. Tyler shouts, "Grandpa, grandpa! I found this box while I was digging in the yard."

A flurry of joy overtook me. "I haven't seen that box in so long." I grab it from him and open it to reveal the contents. The first thing I take out out of all of the items is a photograph.

Tyler looks at me joyously. "Is that guy in the picture your friend?"

"He was a bit more than that. I can tell you a story, if you'd like." He nods his head excitedly. "Okay. Where do I begin?"

-1954-
"I'm staying at Andi's house tonight after her party, okay, mama?"

My mom peeks around the corner. "Alright, Cyrus. You have fun with your girlfriend."

"For the last time, Andi isn't my girlfriend. I don't even want to date anybody."

"Fine. Just don't end up like those daffodils, sweetie. They're a disgusting bunch."

I don't even acknowledge that last statement. I just grab my bags and leave. My parents don't know that I'm... that I like guys. Of course I wouldn't tell them. They'd toss me off to the side of the road. Luckily, Andi and Buffy are a bit more accepting, or they at least try to be, which is better than most people.

I knock on Andi's door and she answers within seconds. "There's my favorite fairy! Come in, come in!"

I lean in next to her as I enter the house. "I told not to use that word in public. People don't need to know my secret."

A look of guilt appears on her face. "Oh my, I'm so sorry! I forgot!"

"It's perfectly fine." I look around the house. A lot of people are socializing, drinking punch, and having fun in general. "Seems like your bash is going great."

Andi gives me an acknowledging nod. "Yeah. It really is."

A guy standing in the corner catches me eye. He's wearing a thick leather jacket, and denim jeans. Despite it being night, he's wearing sunglasses on the top of his head. It's kind of cute. Pointing to him, I ask Andi, "Who's he?"

Andi replies, "That's Jonah. He's someone I met when I was on the flying saucer team."

"The flying saucer team? He seems too cool to be on a team like that."

Andi raises her eyebrows. "How about you talk to him? You might like him."

I walk over to Jonah, and introduce myself. He introduces himself back, which is a bit pointless, since Andi told me, but I don't mention it. I start off the conversation by asking him, "Why do you have sunglasses at night?"

He says in a flirty tone, "Cause my future's so bright."

I try to contain my laughter by making a comeback. "You better bring a flashlight, then." This time, Jonah's the one who ends up laughing.

"Bud, you're cracking me up. Want to go outside for a bit? Hang out?"

My face feels hot. "Uhh, yeah."

"Great, come on!" He grabs my arm and drags me just outside of Andi's porch, to where a motorcycle is parked. "This is my bike. Want to go for a ride?"

I nod my head. "I'd love to." Jonah sits on the seat and I sit behind, wrapping my arms around him. He starts off with a loud rev, and we drive away.

The scenery around us is incredibly beautiful, with bountiful gardens in every backyard. The street lights luminesced the pavement in such an incredible way, and I could see little dust particles adding detail to the empty street.

Jonah takes me to a peak overseeing the city. He takes out a Polaroid camera from his bag. "Come here. I want to take a couple of photos of us."

I stand next to him, and he puts his arm around me, facing the camera towards us. "Ready?" He snaps a picture, and a photo comes out. He snaps another, and another pops out. "I hope these end up nice. Are you going to keep that picture?"

I hold it a bit tightly. "Yeah. I'll cherish it forever."

-2018-
Tyler's smile grew bigger as I concluded the story. "That was such a great story!"

I pick him up and start tickling him a bit. "Oh, you little ankle biter! Come here!" He starts laughing hysterically until I stop.

"So grandpa, did you ever see Jonah again?"

"I didn't, unfortunately. But I think about him a lot. I like to imagine that he's somewhere out there, enjoying his life, just like me."

———————

This theme was The 1950s. It took a lot of time writing this, since I was trying to portray an accurate setting for this time period. Overall, I think I got most of the slang and terms correctly.