Ciao Olivia, how's it going? Have you met them yet?xxx

Olivia! What do you think of them? Have you spoken to them? Please text me!xx

Are you ignoring me? Olivia where are you? I need to know! What's happening. Text me!! x

I felt guilt rush over me. Maria had asked me to keep in contact, even if all she wanted to know about was One Direction. I opened the balcony doors to let the cool evening breeze swirl into the room before hopping on to the sofa to reply.

I'm so sorry Maria. It's been crazy here! But yes, I have met them and I have spoken to them. They're alright I guess. Not much more to report though. Hope you're enjoying the time off! xx

Almost immediately after I'd pressed send, my phone started to ring. Maria's name shone on the screen.

"Oh my God! You spoke to them?" Her voice was shrill.

"Hello to you too, Maria." I laughed back.

"Sorry, I just can't believe it. You actually spoke to One Direction?"

"Yes, I d-," she quickly interrupted.

"Oh, aren't they gorgeous? Tell me you at least think they're cute?"

"Hmm, they're not bad." I lay on my back and smiled to myself.

"I bet you like one of them more than the others. Everyone has a favourite!" As soon as she mentioned it, I saw Liam's face in my head. His eyes, so deep and thoughtful. His jawline was so strong and handsome and his hair seemed so perfectly moulded. His voice, calm and reassuring. Something in my stomach swooped, just as it had done at the pool.

"Hey, you've gone quiet. Are you still there - wait -  Oh my! You do have a favourite! You're thinking about him right now and you're going to tell me!" Maria was squealing down the phone again so loudly that I had to pull it away from my ear just to hear myself think. "I like Zayn, no Niall, oh but Louis. Damn it, I don't know. But I have Giovanni so I shouldn't really relax. He hates it when I talk about them but I can't blame him." She was quieter after acknowledging her boyfriend, Giovanni. "So go on, tell me."

"I don't know what you're talking about." I really didn't want to have to admit that I liked one of the boys more than the others.

"You're not fooling me. You have a favourite and I won't quit asking until you tell me." Her words were dripping with determination.

"They're all cool in their own ways." 

"Fine, I'll guess who it is. You'd like a strong guy, someone to hold you up when you're down. Someone to tell you you're beautiful. Funny, maybe? Yes, funny but also serious when he has to be. Hmm, Zayn-."

"Come on, Maria, stop-."

"Harry... No, maybe Louis."

"Seriously, stop it" I laughed with a sigh. 

"Wait, I have it. Liam. It's Liam." That name. I had butterflies in my stomach again and I was too late to notice that I'd fallen silent for a little longer than I should have. Maria noticed instantly. 

"Oh. My. God! You like him. You like Liam Payne!" 

"Yeah, sure. Liam is a good looking guy. I like him, but-"

"Oh I can totally see you it."

"See what?"

"The two of you as a thing. I bet he likes you back."

"We hardly know each other and there will be no thing  happening between us. So can we drop this now?"

"No we are not dropping this. It's important.  I know you only just broke up with Federico, but you deserve to move on. Imagine how shit it'd make Federico feel if he saw you with someone like Liam. He'd be kicking himself for the way he hurt you. Liam is so sweet. You have no idea. I've read all about it in the magazines and on the blogs online." As Maria spoke, my ex-boyfriend's face came into mind. Federico, the golden haired, womanising Italian that my cousin had introduced me to when I first came to Italy. I felt a lump in my throat and my eyes started to sting but just then, I heard a knock on my apartment door.