Life As We Know It (Rucas)

Nervousness bubbled in Riley's Matthews when her plane touched down in Austin, Texas. It was always like this-the nervousness. Her hands always grew clammy while the hair on the back of her neck stood on end. It was always like this at the possibility (inevitably) of seeing Lucas. He was part of the package of seeing Maya, Zay, and her gorgeous little goddaughter, Sophie.

It wasn't that she and Lucas ended on bad terms either. But there was an estrangement atmosphere between them and there had been since she had pushed him to go back to Texas to pursue his dream of being a veterinarian. While they both knew Lucas could've been a vet in the city, Riley knew he longed to be a livestock veterinarian. He wanted to be birth other cows, so Riley did what she thought was best for him and pushed him to go.

***RUCAS***  

"Riley," Lucas' arms were wrapped tightly around her waist. They were at the airport saying goodbye.

"What?" Her question is muffled by his chest.

"Tell me to stay," he whispered to her, "tell me not to go. Stop me."

She pulled away to look at him. He was so handsome. Lucas Friar had always been good-looking, (Farkle called him freak face for a reason) but throughout all of high school, his handsomeness only grew. The four years of being on various sports teams (football, baseball, and basketball) had only made him more muscular that had molded it seemed, perfect for his broad shoulders.

"Lucas, no..." Riley told him with a shake of her brunette head.

"No, listen to me," she told him when he opened his mouth to interrupt her, "this is your dream. I can't hold you back from your dream. I won't. You need to get on that plane and go."

"I could have my dream here with you." Lucas' voice was soft as he said those words to her. But Riley still shook her head.

"Not like how I know you want it." The smile she gave him was soft but sad.

"You want to birth more cows. You want to handle horses with broken legs. You want to be a livestock vet and there isn't much livestock in New York. So you need to go."

"Riles-"

"You know what Mr. Feeny said to my parents, Uncle Shawn, and Uncle Eric before they left and came to New York?" She asked.

"No, what?"

"Dream. Try. Do good. So go after your dream. Try and do good in this world, Lucas. I believe in you. I always have. Get on the plane." She told him and he did...

***RUCAS***

"...Riley!" The brunette photographer blinked and suddenly she found herself staring down at her short blonde best friend since she was five years old. How had she gotten off of the plane and into the airport without realizing it? Was she that consumed with bittersweet memories of the past? Did she get her luggage? Riley thought to herself, before risking a glance by her side. Then she sighed in relief when she saw she indeed had her luggage by her side.

"Peaches," Riley grinned at Maya Hunter-Babineaux, before wrapping her arms around the woman and squeezing as tightly as she could. Maya hugged her back just as tight if not tighter.

"You don't know how much I've missed you, honey!" Maya's voice was muffled by Riley's shoulder.

"I've missed you too. So much, peaches!" It was hard to tell who was crying more, her or Maya. The best friends pulled apart and wiped their watery eyes.

"Where is my beautiful goddaughter?" Riley asked when she felt she had finally gotten her emotions under control. The short blonde grinned at her, it was watery. But the brunette could still see her best friend that was now mom. Gosh! What a sentence that was, Maya was a mom. Her best friend was a mom.

"She's at home with Zay, napping. You're the first one here by the way. Farkle and Smack will be here tomorrow. Now come on!" Maya linked her right arm with her best friend and grabbed Riley's other suitcase with her left hand. Suddenly, Riley was hit by nostalgia by how familiar the small gesture was that the photographer almost started crying again.

"I'm sure you're tired and I want to gush over my daughter with you." With that, Riley and Maya walked out of the airport like they were ready to take on the world and in a way they were, because they had their best friend by their side again.

***RUCAS*** 

So you might recognize this au and you might not. It's au based loosely on the movie Life As We Know It and while I'm currently still working on chapter one, I thought I'd post it here as well because I wanna get a general consensus on what people thought about it!