Chapter 3: (Part 1) War has Begun

Start from the beginning

Behind the bow formation was King Derek on the left side. His royal cavalry stood proudly to be fighting beside one of Faulon's finest warriors. To the right was Theodren's cavalry, eager as always to fight at the young general's side again. Zoran was one of the captains in the string of archers, waiting patiently for the higher ranked members to announce their signal.

The sounds continued to grow louder, LOUDER. Banging noises like metal clanged against steel blades. There were footsteps crushing the ground below them in unison. What was thought impossible became a frightful reality, a threat superior to all warriors of mankind. The army finally presented its true form; a merciless beast of a legion marching as though it could crush entire armies without a single scratch....

"Draw!" Zoran called to his part of the battalion. He was waiting for the leader's call. "Loose!" The arrows fell upon the enemy, striking down a few of them, though they mostly continued to advance unscathed. With the enemy having their own shield wall, arrow fire was halted.

The Zerethian had to march uphill to reach them. Boulders from all around the humans began getting picked up by volunteer militia troops, pushing them down hill to remove the organization of the advancing foe.

"When the lines are broken apart, we need to charge around their weak points and flank them! Our cavalry forces to the east will aim for the backside of their shieldwall to the right! The west can lead their men to the left with the same task in mind!" King Derek announced to nearby generals and commanders to pass the word on.

Despite the disadvantage of the enemy and the confidence of the army to succeed, unarmored Zerethians rushed passed the shield wall and attacked from behind! The shield wall was to remain in its position, as to remove it in anyway would jeopardize their defenses.

The archers from the edges were being slaughtered, while the ones in the middle were making their final draw before arming themselves to the threat on both of their sides.

Although the High Guard, the King's royal legion, were held back to protect the tacticians as they planned the battle from further uphill, some were sent out to defend the archers.

Zoran unsheathed his blade and brought out his shield (something only higher ranked archers were granted, as shields were often inconvenient for archers).

His armor was only designed for hasty maneuvers, so unarmored Zerethian were perfect opponents.

A pointed steel helm with a nasal and cheek guard, a chainmail hood under the helm, leather gauntlets, a chainmail undercoat, and a leather shirt with two separate plates of steel on each side of his chest. He also wore a leather skirt on top of chainmail leggings that contained a horse symbol that was often Lorlyn's main banner. It was similar to footmen armor, but without shoulder guards and a steel abdominal plate underneath the other two chestplates.

A Zerethian charged him. It first attempted to strike him with a right downward stroke, and he parried the maneuver, leading to its execution, head rolling on the floor without a single drop of blood from it. While its skin was grey, the face looked almost identical to another human's: long unkempt hair and beard, defined forehead, brow relatively close to its blank eyes.

Carrion was in a cavalry unit beside Theodren with his Drakon dragonslayer sword and shield, though also provided with a lance from the King himself.

Valora was part of the infantry force who guarded the archers, used as backup for the members of the shield wall. She held throwing daggers and twin blades.

The two of them rejected the standard armor and weaponry, so they stood out like a sorethumb. Valora ended up fighting beside Zoran.

"Behind you!" Valora spoke aggressively. Zoran turned and held his shield to cover his body and pushed his shield forward to a charging enemy. Valora took out three others who approached not too far behind with her throwing daggers. She took the knives back out of them and put them in their sheaths for later use.