Chapter 1

The day started like every other, how could it not? I was only 15 years old, which meant I had to attend secondary school along with every other 15 year old. It never took me long to get ready, time slowed down when I needed it to. I looked in the mirror, Daddy had always said my siblings and I were special because we were born and not created I didn't see anything special about me now. My blue eyes were dark, my skin pale and my hair one shade of blonde. I ran my brush through my hair, my cell phone buzzed on the bathroom counter. I ignored it, Mom had told me never to make close friends she said it wasn't worth it. I looked at myself again in the mirror and walked out of the bathroom, I grabbed my backpack off my bed and knocked on Jacob's bedroom door.

“Jake! Let's go” I shouted at his door.

“Coming...”

He opened the door, it looked like he had just woken up. His one tone blonde hair was ruffled and his dark blue eyes were only half open. It looked like he had thrown on whatever he found on the floor. It wasn't unusual get up for him. Our older sister called to us from downstairs.

“Jake, May get your buts down here I'm only making one trip to school today!”

“Coming Grace” We said in unison.

Jake rolled his eyes.

“How is it I ended up being the only guy out of six?” He exclaimed.

I gave him a playful swat on the shoulder. He gave me a look that said he was seriously disappointed with his life. I felt a bit frustrated, I could see exactly what he was thinking if I concentrated enough. He truly was disappointed with his life because Mom and Dad give us rules without explanation, he wished they had stopped after him and I were born and now he wanted me to stop staring at him.

“Sorry...” I dropped my gaze.

“You know I hate when you do that”

I apologized again, he rolled his eyes.

“Better make sure Mom doesn't catch you doing that.”

I walked down the stairs and away from him. My cheeks were red from shame, I didn't like it when my twin scolded me. Mom was looking after the triplets, I could agree with Jake on one thing six children seemed to be a bit much.

“Bye Mom i'm off to school!” I shouted as I walked out the door.

I grabbed shotgun and Jake hopped in the back.

“Nice of you two to finally join me” Grace said.

She started backing down the driveway.

“Good morning to you too” Jake grumbled.

The rest of the car ride was silent. When we arrived at school Jake got out but I couldn't make myself. Grace looked over at me, she graduated last year and was taking a year off.

“May, are you okay?”

She was probably the only one who genuinely cared about me in our family. I looked at her, concern was strewn across her face. I sighed.

“It's just hard, their are so many rules and I don't even know what they're for. I'm fifteen but no one ever tells me anything. Mom and Dad only seem to have time for rules and they look like someone could be in danger any second but again there's never an explanation.”

She waited for me to finish. She nodded twice.

“Listen, when you turn sixteen they'll explain everything to you but know this: we're different and we're in danger. Now get out of my car and go to school”

It took me a while to digest what she had said. We were different but I didn't know if this was a good or bad thing. I put my headphones in my ears and blasted my music, everyone considered me the loner of the school I did my best to try and blend in but I could never find a close friend. This didn't bother me very much but it was hard when you're only friends were your brother and older sister. Without looking up I dodged the body check I was about to receive.

“freak” A girl hissed from behind me.

A group of hostile looking tenth to twelfth graders were giving me dirty looks. This wasn't new to me, I tried to ignore them and continue walking into the school as the bell rang. I walked up the steps but they blocked my path.

“Where do you think you're going? Freak.” The grade twelve boy standing directly in my path asked.

I didn't say anything and waited for them to let me pass.

“Are you deaf? He asked you a question.” The girl standing to his right said.

I focused and listened to each of their thoughts. It was shocking and alarming to hear what they were thinking about me.

“Vampire”

“Freak”

“Danger”

“...needs to die”

I shut it off. Vampire? Is that what my parents were going to tell me in a week on Jake and I's birthday? It was impossible such things didn't exist, I was just psychic. I moved out of the way in time to avoid an unfriendly shove from the twelfth graders right hand girl.

“Are you listening?” She asked.

“Closer than you think...” I mumbled.

“What was that?” She asked.

I was too scared to answer, I'd never really been good with other people.

“Just let her pass guys, she's not worth it” The youngest of the group spoke up.

I looked at him, his violet eyes were staring at the ground. I was intrigued I had never met anyone with such a strange eye colour.