Chapter 12

I KNOW SCHOOL'S ABOUT TO START, SO I'M GONNA MAKE THIS CHAPTER COUNT AS MUCH AS I CAN. I SERIOUSLY HOPE YOU ENJOY! WARNING: INTENSE LANGUAGE

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Death was nothing like how Wade imagined it. There was no spontaneous blooming flowers of heaven or merciless fiery flames of hell. It was just a black void filled with a dull shade of grey fog. The fog seemed to move by itself, almost like lost ghost floating about aimlessly. Wade began to wonder if he was a ghost too.

 But if that were true, why wasn't he moving? He certainly felt like he was floating; he feel any surface below him. In fact, he didn't smell or hear anything. It's as if his primary senses had been seized the moment his passed away. He absolutely had to be dead.

'Isn't there supposed to be an angel or something?' He wondered. 

Then out of the darkness and fog came a humongous giant. It appeared to be wearing red with a face that was blurred. Wade stared wide-eyed at it as its colossal figured hovered over his petite, lifeless body. Wade tried to speak, but his throat was as  dry as dessert sand. So he swallowed, and then he spoke. "Are you hear to take to see God?"

The giant said something, but it's voice was too deep to make out. "Run that by me again." Wade requested.

Just then another giant came into view. It wore a long coat and what looked to be a beanie, and it too had a blurred face. This giant took its oversized hand and reached for Wade's face. 'It's not like he can hurt me. I'm already dead.' He thought.

However, the second giant didn't try to squeeze his ears in or squash his head with its fist. Instead it merely snapped his fingers. "Come on, mate. Snap out of it." It said, in an Australian accent no less.

'Wait a minute? An Australian accent?' Wade blinked repeatedly until the giants' faces were no longer blurry. That's when he saw they weren't giant at all. They were actually...

"Boomerang? Deadshot?" Wade looked  up at the two men as they looked down at him.

"Yeah, man. It's us." This was Deadshot. "Now get before we have Croc give you CPR."

Wade sprung to his feet faster that speedster Boomerang said caught him, and looked around. He was still on the roof and the black void of fog must've been the sky. Boomer, Deadshot, El Diablo, and Croc were all standing around him. "Guys? What happened? Where's Harley?"

Diablo and Boomer looked at down, and Croc growled softly. Deadshot stepped up to Wade and put a hand on his shoulder, a mix of guilt and sympathy written in his expression. "Wade, she got away in that helicopter... Until they--"

"Until we shot it down." Waller voice came from nowhere. 

Suddenly it felt like someone had pulled a switch and opened a trapdoor right under Wade's feet, like in a cartoon. 'Harley's dead? She can't be! She must have jumped out at the last minute or climbed down from the rope.' Wade thought of every possible and impossible excuse as to how Harley could have survived. He couldn't tell if he believed any of them, or was simply trying to comfort his pain. Undoubtedly, he was failing in both categories.

"Joker and Harley Quinn are no more." Waller added, not missing the opportunity to sprinkle salt in Wade's already salted wound.

Wade took one look at Waller and lunged at her. He managed to grab her throat before the squad pulled him back. It felt like he was in total beast mode. "I'm gonna kill you, you cock-sucking bitch!" He spat at her.

"Man, calm down! Calm down!" Deadshot shouted over him.

"No, no!" He resisted their restraints, trying yet again to attack Waller.

"There's nothing you can do about it, mate." Boomer attempted to placate him.

"You're the one who said we should kill her and Flag earlier." Wade reminded the Aussie.

It was Diablo's turn. "Killing Waller won't bring Harley back."

"Maybe not. But it'll sure as hell feel good."

"No, it won't. It's just gonna make you feel even emptier. Trust me, I know."

At that moment, Waller held up her Nano-bomb detonator in front of Wade. All it took was a push and he'd really be dead. No regenerating. She eyed Wade expectantly, challenging his decision. Wade eyed her; then he thought of Harley and turned his head away.

"I didn't think so." She said confidently, making Wade partially desire to lunge at her again.

(TIME SKIP)

There they were again, walking about the streets of Midway City. Wade was getting tired of seeing all the firepits, crashed cars, and abandoned buildings. The only difference was that it was now raining. The city was definitely not on his bucket list for sightseeing when he got out of prison. The only positive side was that Waller's got taken by Enchantress when she selfishly chose to ride in a helicopter separate from the squad. Ironically, now they, Flag, his and posse of soldiers were tasked to go rescue her.

To everyone's surprise, Wade did talk at all. In fact nobody really did. There was just so much to take in at that point. Harley's death, Waller's capture, and the extreme measure of work they had to endure. It seemed like this mission was nothing but a wild goose chase.

"Hey, Wade." Wade felt a finger tap his shoulder, and looked to Boomer who pointed ahead of them. 

Wade turned his face in that direction and saw what he thought to have been the consequence for not taking his meds: a hallucination of Harley. She was sitting on top of a car, her hair and makeup wet, doing her iconic, maniacal smile.

"Hey, guys. I'm back." She sounded like she had been crying. "I missed you all so much."

Wade just rolled his eyes. "We're glad you could make it, traitor."

She stared at him sadly, his harsh words making her smile disappear. She looked like a lost puppy in the rain. Wade kind of felt bad. Sure, she ditched the team, caused him to get shot nearly to death, and put the whole team in jeopardy. The past's is the past. Besides, they were bad guys. They did shit like that all the time. What's the point of being mad at her?

So Wade picked her up off the car and set her on the ground. She gave him an apologetic grin and he just shrugged. "At least you weren't the one shooting at me." He said, causing her to smile sweetly.

"Hey, craziness." Boomer called her, throwing Harley her bat.

She smiled at him and turned back to Wade, who extended his elbow to her. "Shall we?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THIS CHAPTER. I'M SORRY TO SAY, THE STORY IS ALMOST DONE. ONLY ABOUT FOUR TO FIVE MORE CHAPTER LEFT. AS I'VE MENTIONED IN THE TOP DESCRIPTION, SCHOOL IS ABOUT TO START. SO I'M GONNA HAVE TO FIGURE OUT A SCHEDULE. ONCE I DO I WILL SURELY LET YOU GUYS KNOW. THANK YOU GUYS. I HOPE YOU RETURN FOR MORE, AND HAVE A GREAT SCHOOL YEAR. BYE!