Chapter 8

Trekking further through the terminated city, Wade debated on whether or not he should tell Harley about his deal with Joker. He didn't want to imagine what the other team would do if they found out. That included Flag, who'd most likely tell Waller. 

Joker was without a doubt a bad guy. Just the idea of Harley being with a crazed crown like him was enough to make Wade's blood boil. But there was nothing he could do about it. The only thing he was capable of doing was temporarily protect her. Then a light bulb went off... What if he could convince Harley not to go back to him? Yeah, that could wo-- 

No, it couldn't. In order to convince her, he'd have to tell her first. Like that was going to be a no-brainer.

His thoughts were interrupted when he heard a glass shatter behind him. He spun around and instinctively grasped his sword. But then he let go, seeing it was just Harley taking a purse out of a shop display.

"Seriously? 'The hell's wrong with you people?" Flag asked in a criticizing tone.

Harley sighed. "We're bad guys. It's what we do." She stated the obvious.

(TIME SKIP)

The next street's road was covered in bottles. Bored, Wade made a game out of kicking as many as he could with the tip his boot. He wasn't sure if this might take him mind off Joker and Harley, but it did help to pass time. By the twenty-fourth bottle, his boot was so wet that when he tried to kick another he slipped and fell. 

"You getting up, Wade?" Deadshot asked, hovering over him.

Wade gave him a knowing look. "No, thanks. I was planning to lay here for the rest of my life."

Deadshot rolled his eyes and offered his hand. Wade slowly sat up, immediately feeling a slight pain in his ankle. "Whoa!" Deadshot said, staring at his foot. "Does that hurt?"

Wade looked down to his ankle and saw he twisted it. "Not really. Just stings a bit." Wade elevated himself to stand, his ankle now healed.

"So you can just... heal like that?" Deadshot asked like it was unbelievable. 

Wade nodded. "Yeah, pretty much." He smiled casually and began walking again. Except this time, he made sure to step over the bottles. 

Up ahead, he saw Harley picking fun at Croc. "You hate mankind much?" She gave his shoulder a patting. "Lemme guess. Mommy didn't take you to Chuck-e-Cheese on your sixth birthday. I can recommend a good therapist." The giant croc moved to punch her, but decided against it, drawing his fist back.

"Why?" El Diablo, who was a few feet away from her, asked. 

Harley moved from Croc to him. "Because I'm bored! I need a victim... a mind to pry apart and spit in!" She spat at him.

Boomer came up beside them, looking annoyed. "Just leave it, mate. She's a rabbit hole. Don't fall in." The Aussie advised El Diablo, causing Harley to hiss at the him.

Then Katana came walking up, and Harley grinned her way. "And here's one now." The pretty psycho pointed her bat at the samurai. "Japanese, female, mid-20s," she swung her bat as she gave out Katana's description, "five foot five, good health, athletic, and..." she sucked in air through her puckered lips, "an only child with deep-seated father issues."

She stood in front of Katana, gripping her bat at both ends. "Daddy wanted a son, so she has to hide behind a mask." Harley lowered herself to Katana's height, rubbing it in her face.

Katana took off her mask, revealing her emotionless plump face. "I am not... hiding." She growled in a low voice.

"Now that was gangster." Harley smiled tightly. The two women's bodies were now touching, their faces inches apart. 

"Harley." Wade pulled her away before she started something she couldn't finish. And as her bodyguard, it was his job to make sure he didn't get killed. "Why don't you stop acting like a drunken stripper?" 

They were now standing side by side. "Like you'd notice if I was." She shot back.

"Yeah, I would. You know how many of those I've met in my lifetime?" He asked matter-of-factly.

Harley started walking backwards in front of him. "Is that a rhetorical or personal question?" She wiggled her eyebrows.

"You know what, Harley? I don't think you're really as bad as you come off." To that, she stopped in her tracks, and so did he.

"No?" She titled her head like a child. "Enlighten me."

"Okay. Here you go, chief. You're pretending to be bad shit because you think it'll win you your psycho Romeo." He made circles on his temple with his index finger. "You make it seem like your craziness is genuine even when you're not around Joker. And that's because you've convinced yourself that that's how you truly are. But on the inside, you're just an insecure schoolgirl willing to set off the fire alarm to win her man's heart. How's that for therapy?" 

Her stare was blank, and not a smile was worn on her face. Her mascara was smeared down her cheek, making it look like colorful tears. Her red lips emanated uncertainty instead of pure madness. All in all, her makeup fit her saddened face. Wade felt a bubble of guilt rise in him as he gazed upon her face. "Harls, I--"

She put her on his chest, quieting him. "What makes you think you know me and my puddin' so well?"

"Because I've seen this kind of relationship on a million soap operas." Wade explained. "The old ones, not the new ones with too much cussing and sex scenes." Harley was about to walk away, but Wade grabbed her bat. "Look, I'm just trying to keep you from doing something you'll regret."

"Hmm." She hummed, her eyes reflecting her lunatic nature returning. "You mean you're just trying to look after me. Sure, okay." She whispered, "Hey, I get it, Wilson. I'm not stupid, I know how the world works. I know when a man's trying to play me." She sneered, snatching her bat from her and walking away.

Wade could tell he ticked her off. He wanted to go after her, but didn't wanna look desperate. He groaned at the night sky and caught up with the group, making sure to stay a specific feet away from Harley.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SO NOW HARLEY'S MAD AT WADE. I WONDER IF HE'LL EVER MAKE IT UP TO HER. GUESS YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO READ THE NEXT CHAPTER. 
HOPE YOU LIKED IT. IT WILL BE UPDATED SOON. THX ;P