.:Chapter Twenty:.

He knew it would happen before he said anything.

Jace, the new Head of Institute, after Alec had passed, had invited him to the 'abandoned' church to check the wards, as there had allegedly been a demon intrusion. Just a Ravener, but that didn't mean it wasn't a problem.

An hour or so later, the wards were fixed. Magnus sat in Jace's office as they discussed payment when Jace burst.
"I'm going to propose to Clary." To say Magnus was shocked was an understatement, but he immediately recovered.
"Well, Congratulations!" He exclaimed, giving the blonde a hug.
"I wanted your blessing, seeing as your the closest thing I have to a father, not to mention you're practically a father to Clary too." Have requested. It was true, he and Biscuit had been getting closer, often going out for drinks or a meal. At least until Alec died. He quickly shook the thought off as he remembered that Jace was waiting for a reply.
"Of course you have my blessing! Have you asked Luke?"
"Yes, but he hasn't replied and I don't want to bother him while he's on vacation," Jace replied. Luke and Jocelyn had gone on vacation to 'reconnect'.
"Anyway, you're welcome to stay for lunch, Magnus." Jace offered. Magnus instantly agreed, knowing that that was when Jace would do the deed.

Lunch came pretty quickly as the boring hours passed. There had been one escapade; Izzy tried to cook. Luckily, Clary managed to stop Izzy from causing an Institute-wide fire. Instead, takeout boxes from the Jade Wolf, as Jace had to find a way to invite Maia, plus Izzy was apparently craving mu shu pork, covered the table, some uneaten or not even opened, some empty and knocked onto their sides by someone reaching for another box. It seemed that the time had come when Jace stood up and stood in front of Clary, his hands gently clasping hers. With an indescribable look of love on his face, Jace began to speak.
"Clarissa Adele Fairchild, you are the love of my life, the only one for me. I love you, with all my heart and soul, my entire body and mind. You are beautiful, from your cute freckles to your short stature and mundane ways, everything about you is beautiful. I know my motto. 'To love is to destroy'. But with you, I see the bigger picture. To love can be to destroy, but love can also heal. You healed me, Clary. You made me whole." Clary was crying tears of happiness as the blonde boy got down on one knee and revealed a black, velvet ring box. This caused the ginger to gasp and stare open-mouthed.
"Clarissa Adele Fairchild, although I may not deserve it, will you make me the happiest man alive and marry me?" Jace asked, snapping the box open.
"Yes, yes, yes! A million times yes!" Clary squealed, kneeling to kiss her boyfriend-turned-fiancé. Everyone around them clapped, cheering for the Head of Institute and his fiancée. Once the two broke apart, they stood up, smiling. Magnus went over to Jace.
"Alec would be happy for you." He told the golden-eyed boy.
"I know," Jace said softly in return. Before Magnus could say anything more, someone started to play stupidly loud music on a boom box they had. A party started, and that party lasted all night.